• Register Today It's free!

New IAC CAUSED howling noise

goalkeeper21986

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport '99
I've seen a bunch of posts regarding old IAC's causing a howling noise, and cleaning/replacing made them better; however, I just installed a new IAC and now I have howling at idle when I didn't have it before.

I bought the cheapest one, duh, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2414180&cc=1354553
at RockAuto. Has anyone else had this problem.

FYI I noticed that my replacement came with a gasket shown in the second picture in the link. My old one did not have a gasket on it. I installed it thinking that it should have been there in the first place. Could this be the cause? is this new IAC bad?

Confused.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the gasket look like this one? This is the one that your 99 SOHC should use.

getimage.jpg

Negative, but I've got the OHV and the gasket looked like this

getimage.php

Interesting, I just looked at Rock Auto for an IAC gasket and it showed this for the '99 V6 OHV:

getimage.php

Howling went away on its own. I guess something broke in.

Some air filters will cause this also. Ours howled, but went away with a new air filter. Seems to be a reed type action going on in there somewhere-I think it is the rubber seal inside the iac which actually vibrates.

That sounds pretty likely. I'm pretty sure I messed around in the airbox after noise and never made the connection that that was the fix.

new IAC

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer. It started howling on me as well. When it first started doing it I could unplug the MAS and it would stop. After a while that did not work anymore. I replaced the IAC from a new one that I bought on ebay and that made it worse. I put the old one back on it and that put it back to where it was befor. If I unplug the IAC while it is running the noise goes away and the idle drops considerably. I can rev the engine up in this state and still get no noise. I will try another IAC when I get one to see if maybe I bought a faulty IAC. Also the gasket you mentioned I tried with and without the gasket and it seemed to make no difference.

Back