new idea for high idle when warmed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new idea for high idle when warmed up

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all~
I've posted a few times about my high idle when warmed up problem. I have talked to a few technicians and auto parts guys here, and I've come up with a general consensus that my coolant temperature sensor could be on the way out (the one that sends data to the PCM).

What I believe to be happening, is as the engine warms up, the coolant passing the sensor gets gradually warmer(duh), and as it is still on the cool side the sensor is reading fine and thereby letting my engine idles normally. What I think happens next is as it approaches normal operating temp, the sensor is screwed up inside and is telling my computer that it is actually hotter than it really is. I've heard that these engines idle fast when the computer believes the engine is overheating in an effort to increase the fan speed and cooling rate. The temp at this time is normal, and no where near the H, and while driving it exibits no symptoms that would point to overheating.

If anyone thinks I should get a new coolant temp sensor let me know. It's the only other thing on my engine related to temperature I can replace at this point that could control my idle. Thanks!

George

Hi!
Maybe your thermostat need to be replaced.
I have the same problem and it was solved replacing the Thermostat.
Good look

Back