New Idea for water crossings: wet switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Idea for water crossings: wet switch

Mr. Truckles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone I have been thinking about this for awhile and I would like some opinions or suggestions.

I am thinking about installing a "wet bug" or "wet switch" inside of my intake right after the filter that will open the ignition circuit to kill the engine if the slightest ammount of water is sensed being sucked in.

Even though a very small ammount of water would need to be sucked in for the switch to open, at least it would kill the motor before a lot could get sucked in and damage the engine i.e. hydrolock and everything associated. I would also probably install a bypass switch so you can turn the feature on or off.

I know a snorkel would be the standard remedy to hydrolocking, and I do plan to install one pretty soon, but I just figured I would throw this idea out there and see what everyone thinks.

Hey everyone I have been thinking about this for awhile and I would like some opinions or suggestions.

I am thinking about installing a "wet bug" or "wet switch" inside of my intake right after the filter that will open the ignition circuit to kill the engine if the slightest ammount of water is sensed being sucked in.

Even though a very small ammount of water would need to be sucked in for the switch to open, at least it would kill the motor before a lot could get sucked in and damage the engine i.e. hydrolock and everything associated. I would also probably install a bypass switch so you can turn the feature on or off.

I know a snorkel would be the standard remedy to hydrolocking, and I do plan to install one pretty soon, but I just figured I would throw this idea out there and see what everyone thinks.

Moisture in the engine bay or even just high humidity could potentially trip a sensor like that. It also adds another "fail" point to your car starting/running in normal circumstances.

I'd cut to the chase and just buy a snorkel.

Dry wheeling is by far my favorite. Sadly around here we get a lot of water :(

Moisture in the engine bay or even just high humidity could potentially trip a sensor like that. It also adds another "fail" point to your car starting/running in normal circumstances.

I'd cut to the chase and just buy a snorkel.

As for dasfink, I was worried about the moisture as well. Adding a toggle switch on the dash would make it not an issue for regular driving because you can bypass the whole circut and flip is on for water crossings. I believe there are ones with differant sensitivity ratings too. I will have to do a little research

Back