new JLT Oil Separator | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new JLT Oil Separator

Great. Just recd the JLT can. Now I am going to spend more to upgrade a new uninstalled product. Not a big cost I know. Just a bit frustrating. Now what is the fix for oil getting into the intercooler?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great. Just recd the JLT can. Now I am going to spend more to upgrade a new uninstalled product. Not a big cost I know. Just a bit frustrating. Now what is the fix for oil getting into the intercooler?
Are you installing this on your Trailblazer?

New purchaser ('17 Platinum vehicle coming soon...or waiting for the '18...I can't decide).

What does this device do to oil consumption? How often do you have to empty these? Where can I go to have a kit installed (I am not mechanically inclined)?

New purchaser ('17 Platinum vehicle coming soon...or waiting for the '18...I can't decide).

What does this device do to oil consumption? How often do you have to empty these? Where can I go to have a kit installed (I am not mechanically inclined)?
The Explorer already comes with a factory installed unit but a few members have added an additional one. According to post #91 the effectiveness of these seems to be in question. I have never installed one nor do I intend to.

Peter

The Explorer already comes with a factory installed unit but a few members have added an additional one. According to post #91 the effectiveness of these seems to be in question. I have never installed one nor do I intend to.

Peter
I can't find any info on the factory installed catch can. Do you have a link?

I can't find any info on the factory installed catch can. Do you have a link?
No link. It was mentioned in post #93 and having re-read that it may not be true for the newer models.

Peter

Are you installing this on your Trailblazer?
Installed on the 17 Sport last night. Not impressed. Had to modify the bracket. As supplied it sat too high and the elbow for the hose going to the valve cover was contacting the edge of the cowl.

Installed on the 17 Sport last night. Not impressed. Had to modify the bracket. As supplied it sat too high and the elbow for the hose going to the valve cover was contacting the edge of the cowl.
It would be a good idea to add the 2017 Sport to your profile or signature if you still have the Trailblazer so members will know what you have.

Peter

JLT catch can on for a little over a week now, and about 250 miles. This afternoon after a 30 min drive and then sitting for an hour and a half. Started it up and got hit with the smell of oil coming from the heat vents. Guess the hose I replaced the air brake hose with on the can wasn't what the parts store said it was. Took the can and hoses out and reinstalled the factory line. I was surprised to open the can and find about an oz of green fluid . I would guess with the cold weather there was a lot of moisture being drawn off the rear valve cover until the engine warms up. I will try putting the can back on once I get the proper hose for it.

Upgraded the hoses to 1/2” Gates pcv line, 9 bucks for 4 feet at Napa. Gas smell gone and easy to do, the connections to the can are tighter than the fittings on the motor sides. Little bulb grease helped, very little grease,.

I just pulled mine at a little over 2K miles. Came back just barely filling bottom of can. way less than ounce. My guess would be about 10-20th of an oz. In all fairness the vehicle has about 2070 miles, the catch can only about 600 ish. Plan is to inspect every 2000 miles so again at 4,6,8,10,12K...etc... next time I will have a measured bottle to get a reference amount.

The question is this: Does oil accumulating in the catch can a good thing or bad? Second part of that question is can the catch can oil be put back in the oil system? I am thinking NOT but want to get some input. I checked oil quantity with the dipstick and no loss of oil. Right at the full mark. Since this catch can only had 600 (ish) miles the low accumulation seemed normal. Should I expect more accumulation of waste oil during the next inspection and drain at 4K with a full 2000 miles of operation.

Please explain what the accumulation of oil in the catch can means in regards to overall engine health and what to watch for during future checks and drains.

My oil capture is minimal, just as you have experienced. Have posted 1oz oil, and 5 oz of WATER (vapor collecting in winter months).
I throw it all out, and the 1oz loss is negligible on dipstick.
But that is 1oz of oil NOT collecting and burning onto my valves...

Lots of info 'out there'. To sum up, from what I've learned, it's a good thing to find oil in the can.
By installing an Oil Catch Can on your turbo car, you're preventing those oil vapors from collecting on the inside of your intake manifold, helping you keep the need for media blasting intake cleaning spaced as far apart as possible.

What is an oil catch can and why do you need one? - GenSport United

Peter

I just purchased the JLT product. Did they ever replace the lines to fix the vapor issue or will I have to swap them out?

I found there is oil in the intake after the throttle body that was covering the MAP sensor. I cleaned the sensor and ordered the JLT separator. When the device is installed and used for a while will the oil in the intake dissipate or is it best to clean it manually?

I tried a few different ideas, even using an air compressor oil/water separator, didn't collect much attached in series to the factory rear separator on the valve cover, factory appears to be a good design as the oil puddling drains back into the valve cover. The front valve cover has a mini K&N filter installed (no oil is running out from there either) and line to the air inlet blocked off.
Biggest amount of oil captured was after the intercooler in the plastic housing just before it starts heading up into the rubber inlet hose to the throttle body, has to be at lowest point where liquid pools and condenses. Had drilled a tiny hole and slip fitted a clear plastic vacuum/oil line that is supplied by aftermarket gauges in their kits. It captured about a tablespoon every few days of oil from the turbos I'm assuming, into a container I placed at the end of the hose near the bottom of the bumper( bumper had to come off to make the hole). If you think that will make a boost leak, it will, but not anything noticeable and not as large as the leak by the brake booster hose back to the air inlet housing on the driver side after the one way valves. I think that leak is there to allow the brake booster to drop boost quickly so vacuum can be built up for the brakes operate sooner, I noticed no difference with it plugged. That's where I plugged in my boost gauge:laugh:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a little more use on my recent road trip. Here are some findings.

Trip mileage 3346.5 Oil Checked and drained immediately prior to departure. Departure vehicle mileage 2352. Ending mileage 5698.5 Catch Can drained, and approximately 30 ML of oil separated. That is roughly 1 ML about 111.5 miles Is that considered good (as in separating vapors and preventing vapor oil from going back through system? or bad as in catching too much oil? This trip resulted in overall engine oil being down about 1/3 qt. Oil was checked at same time as initial Catch Can drain prior to departure.

Back