new KFC Double Down "sandwich" | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

new KFC Double Down "sandwich"

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179954/ns/business-consumer_news

To steal a phrase from a fellow fast-food chain, KFC is thinking outside the bun.

The chicken chain rolls out its Double Down sandwich this weekend — although some might question whether it really is a sandwich. It consists of two white meat chicken breast fillets with a filling of bacon, Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese with Colonel’s Sauce (a spicy mayonnaise).

The company announced the rollout on its Web site with a ticker counting down the minutes until the national release.

The Double Down was test marketed in Providence, R.I., and Omaha, Neb., for a month last summer and public reaction was strong, company officials said.

The sandwich already has been a topic of late-night television monologues as well as postings on Internet message boards, some of which have contended the item was a hoax.

“It was extremely popular in test. Obviously it’s a unique sandwich,” KFC spokesman Rick Maynard said.

“For your real chicken sandwich lover, you no longer have to go to a burger place for a (not as tasty) chicken sandwich. This is so meaty, there is no room for the bun,” Maynard said. The latter quip will serve as the catchphrase in an upcoming national ad campaign to announce the Double Down.

Pricing will be determined in individual markets, but Maynard said he expects the Double Down to sell “in the $5 range.”

The Double Down comes either grilled or fried with KFC’s Original Recipe. The fried version has 540 calories, 32 grams of fat and 1,380 milligrams of sodium. The grilled version has 460 calories, 23 grams of fat and 1,430 milligrams of sodium.

Current government guidelines recommend less than 2,300 mg of sodium per day for people over age 2. Most Americans consume about 3,500 milligrams daily. An entire meal should contain no more than 600 milligrams. Acceptable fat is about 65 grams daily on a 2,000 calorie diet.

The nutritional information certainly doesn’t put it in the range of fast-food behemoths like Hardees’s Thickburger, which tipped the scales at 1,420 calories. But it’s not exactly a light snack. Has KFC heard from any nutritional advocacy groups?

“The thing about KFC is we have wonderful menu offerings no matter what you’re looking for. If you want a more healthy option you can get a two piece Kentucky Grilled meal with two vegetables,” Maynard said. “That is about 370 calories.”

KFC is part of the Yum Brands company that also owns Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

100405-kfc-hmed-1115a.hmedium.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
looks like a heart attack waiting to happen,

no wait it's bacon , and chicken,,

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
They had some testers over here- they're quite tasty... :D

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
Why all the drama? It's a freaking food item offered by a restaurant. If you don't want to eat it, then don't, if you do, have a time with it!

The rational about all the brouhaha is because it's "bad for you" so the rule of thumb is going to be, you will be a burden on the health system if you eat it. The same with smoking, drinking alcohol and every other choice that is being take away from you.

BigDakota

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer SportTrac
looks like a heart attack waiting to happen,

no wait it's bacon , and chicken,,

Ha ha..good one!!
I will have to try one, my heart can handle it. :D

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Exercise? Why punish your body for something your mouth did? :D

Everything is ok in moderation. :)

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
mmmm that looks good

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
Looking at the damn thing makes me want to puke. Let alone eating it.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
my stomach almost just left the building looking at that pic... I try to eat healthy so anymore these days a burger or thing like this would just make me sick

good luck Pepsi er I mean KFC er I mean Kentacohut... I miss going to kentacohut only place on earth you can get a large pepparoni, burrito supreme and a bucket of chicken all on one ticket!!

EAT WHAT YOU WANT, restaurants should be able to create whatever the hell sells, "healthy" or not... the same nutjobs that are trying to remove "unhealthy foods" from the shelves are the same nutjobs that think more flouride in our tap water, non GMO food, sawdust is good fiber, are all good idea's.

sodjer6

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport/'04 XLT
We've had those for awhile - I don't eat KFC too often but last time we went they were on the menu. Just can't see eating this... not because of any nutritional issues, but the issue of it being a huge mess - even with a wrapper. We all know it's not going to look anything like that picture ;)

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH