new leaf springs: not so good :(

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
I installed my new leaf springs today and I'm not happy. I decided to replace the leaf packs because even with the add-a-leafs in them, the rear was sagging. So I ordered a set of leaf springs from springs 'n things with 1" over stock arch. I'm not interested in a lift persay, I just like the look of the rear as high, if not a little bit higher than the front. Well after the installation I found that the new springs sag more than the old ones did without the add-a-leaf. I'm shocked and unhappy.

I'm not sure where I'm going from here, but I thought I'd voice my misfoutune. Any comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

time to contact the vendor I guess.

Try contacting Eaton Detroit Spring. They quoted new leaf spring packs with 2" of lift built-in for $420 / pair. I don't know what your budget is but I thought this sounded pretty good (OME is $540). Since they're custom springs, they can do what ever you'd like. Shipping can get a little pricey though. I live in Chicago and shipping the springs from Detroit was going to run $52.

Good Luck!!

Dave.

Originally posted by Alec
time to contact the vendor I guess.

Then if that doesn't work go for a double add-a-leaf in those packs to try to level it out.

Absolutely get with the vendor and give em hell. you could also put your add a leaf in them to see what it does.

I called the vonder and I was told that the springs were arched to be 1" over stock. The solution I was offered was to pay to have the springs shipped back, and they would arch them higher, and ship them back to me for free.

I can't decide weather to:
1. Send the springs back and have them re-arched
2. Put my add-a-leaf into the springs
3. Put my warior shackles back on

The best option would be to have the springs rearched, but I'd rather not be without the truck for a number of days. The reason I don't want the add-a-leaf or shackles is that I don't want to stiffen the ride.

Any sugestions are welcome.

The shackles will not stiffen the ride at all. The worst thing the shackles can do is cause your leaf springs to go flat quicker.

there is a place near cincinnati called dent spring. at said place, they re-arch springs very cheep. see if you can find a place like this near your territory. Here is their info if you want to call them to see if they know of a place near you.

DENT SPRING SERVICE
2580 E Sharon Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45241 (513) 771-4527

later.

Originally posted by SGR1600
I called the vonder and I was told that the springs were arched to be 1" over stock. The solution I was offered was to pay to have the springs shipped back, and they would arch them higher, and ship them back to me for free.

I can't decide weather to:
1. Send the springs back and have them re-arched
2. Put my add-a-leaf into the springs
3. Put my warior shackles back on

The best option would be to have the springs rearched, but I'd rather not be without the truck for a number of days. The reason I don't want the add-a-leaf or shackles is that I don't want to stiffen the ride.

Any sugestions are welcome.

I think you will be happiest if you send the spring back for a re-arch and then run them by themselves.

Originally posted by Rick
I think you will be happiest if you send the spring back for a re-arch and then run them by themselves.

I think you're right... I'm just having trouble bringing myself to be x-less for a number of days :(

My thought now is to check what it would cost to get rearched at a local spring shop (we do have one) and see how that compares (cost wise) to the cost of shipping them back to the vendor. There's also the consideration of my effort and time (both working on it, and how long sending them back would take).

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll keep you posted.

To whoever is interested:

I had some time today so I decided to install the add-a-leaf into the new springs. The removing and installing of my leaf packs has now become second nature, so it didn't take very much time.

I'm pleased with the results. I'm quite sure that with my current setup, and the addition of the 2" body lift I have on the way I will be riding high, and very ready for my 32x11.50 tires.

could you run this setup with shackles on top to have even more lift?

Back