FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Hey guys,
Had to hit the brakes today pretty hard and CLUNK! Sounded like the rear-end was hit with a sledge hammer. When I hit the gas, it CLUNKED back into place. I used the superlift 5.5" SOA - Do you think it needs to be re-tightened again? I did not tack weld the perches on. Is that a good idea?

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check all the bolts and retorque. I didn't tack weld mine and they have been fine for 140k. Have you ever greased the slip yoke splines? Mine made the same thud sound. Make alignment marks before pulling apart, if not put back together right you'll get bad vibrations.

Hey FM, we are running almost the same lift now, I have 4" springs and brackets with 1.5" spacers so theroetically it is almost the same, I have a clunk when I brake and then accel, almost everytime, nothing too drastic. I tightened the sway bar and it still does it, after further review, me going foward and backwards while my lifting buddy looked at it we noticed my front diff actually shifts up and down, do you notice this? Also are you running this much lift with stock tires(Yikes) as for those perches, the superlifts should not need to be welded as they sit in the old perches, so If it is all tight they should not wrap.

Dannyboy,
Mdrut had the same problem and needed to tighten the rearend down again. However, I do think some of the clunk is in the front. My front shaft may be hitting the tranny crossmember - need to check that out.

As far as tires - right now 31x10.50's with 35x12.50 XTerrains on the way...

J

The famous 5.5 Clunk!!!

Its your front axle moving back and forth. Tighten down those big 1-1/8th inch bolts as hard as you can. Then go a tad bit more. That should eliminate that problem. :)

The ones that hold the radius arms in place? Gee - the top was torqued to well over 200 lb/ft with an impact wrench. Maybe the bottom isn't tight enough. It's going back in to check the alingment today - I'll have them hit it again.

Jon

Originally posted by FMExplorer
The ones that hold the radius arms in place? Gee - the top was torqued to well over 200 lb/ft with an impact wrench. Maybe the bottom isn't tight enough. It's going back in to check the alingment today - I'll have them hit it again.

Jon

Huh... Well thats what it usually is. At least on mine it is.

Originally posted by FMExplorer

As far as tires - right now 31x10.50's with 35x12.50 XTerrains on the way...

J
Whaaaa no MTR's I typed all that for nothing???????

Update:
It was the rear perches - had them welded and the clunk is gone!

As far as the tires go: Xterrains are on sale now, but the MT/R's aren't ruled out. the shop down here has no clue about any upcoming sales. Still priced at $195...

Jon

well this thread motivated me to get my 1 1/8" wrench and go to the driveway. Am i tightening the bolts down inside the springs, or on the raduis arms to stop the clunk? I set the wrench up and then proceed to kick it since I cannot budge it with my skinny arms, so i don't know if I am over 200lbs of pressure but I assume so. Also are there any dangers of overtightening radius arm bushings?

You can't over tighten the arm bushings..The treads stop, so it will only go so far. There is also a bolt on the bottom side of the axle.
Did you put new bushings on when you did the lift? I had a clunk in the front when the old rubber bushings wore out.

Signature

Jon.

I'm getting the same thing. I'm going to have new U-bolts made for the rear perches and see if that works before I go and weld. I just want to say that i really like your signature. I should copy it and put down

...And lots of other sh#T to p@SS my girlfriend off....

I'm getting hassled now that the $2500 I put into lift, tires and rims could have been a large engagement ring :) AHhhhhh well... roof rack and 6 off road lights on planned next hehe

Is'nt that something,,

hahaha,, isnt that something how Girlfreind always do that? if they dont understand what it is your buying they then dont understand "why" your buying it,, or why you bother putting so much money into it,,lolol
my Girlfreind is the same way man, anytime i go to buy something for any of my vehicals she's like " your spending what on what!??!?!" LOL
geez,, i can imagine how it will be after were married LOL

Back