New Member '01 Sport 4.0 to 5.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member '01 Sport 4.0 to 5.0 swap

Doyelbilt

Matt Doyel
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sioux City Ia 51108
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
Planning a '01 Sport 4.0 to 5.0 swap. I've searched Explorer Sport 4.0 to 5.0 swap & found some really good info, especially from member Murdered Sport, hoping to get in touch with him on finer details, mentioned a Excell spreadsheet for wiring. I have a late '01, after 7/24/2000 & a '01 4 door 5.0 donor sounds like the same swap you did, I apologize as I am a new member, new to the site, trying to find my way around, thank you for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can also click on the link in my signature for more info. if you have a job 2 sport, the wiring will be a little more involved however

that excel sheet was never completed, the thread was never finished, much much wiring info missing.

I can help you with this conversion for sure
Your 01 sport is same as converting any 98-01 Explorer or Ranger to a 5.0

Have you sent @MurderedSport a message?
Yes, thanks Rick
that excel sheet was never completed, the thread was never finished, much much wiring info missing.

I’m looking forward to any info you might have regarding electrical side of swap, from what I had read I thought I had a late 01 Sport & needed custom wiring to get engine Ecu to talk to the security system?

Thank you for the reply, again I have a late 01 Sport build date after 7/24/2000, and a 01 4 door with 5.0 & 4L70W as a doner, planning the swap as a winter project but would like to get my ducks in a row in advance, looking for any details regarding wiring to make the 5.0 ecu jive with my pats system (anti-theft), realize that I could probably use a tuner to delete pats, but can see theft deterant being nice to, I'm sure there are other things would be nice to delete, going down to 2 O2 sensors instead of 4 & would be nice to delete egr as well, I'm sure other things as well, yet to be determined, also planning on installing a 205 TC in place of all wheel drive case, wonder if anyone who has done the 205 swap would have any advice, realize that I will need to remove material from mounting flange for clearance for 205 shift linkage & to figure out where to mount shifter, the 4L70W has 2 mounting holes for a mount but they are metric threads 14mm & much closer to flange than the C6 with 9/16" mount bolt, have not bought a 205 yet but coming soon any advice would be much appreciated

Allright Ill take on this challenge!

Easiest 5.0 swap there is..

PATS
The 01 5.0 donor has a pats key, pats module behind the pass airbag and the PCM
As long as the key, the pats module and the PCM are installed in your sport it will run
No need to delete the PATS as your sport and 5.0 donor use the same system, all you have to do is change your lock tumbler to use the 5.0 key and add the 5.0 pats module behind the pass airbag. Now to take this a step further we usually also swap the door lock cylinders and the hatch key to parts from the 5.0 donor, so one key works the whole truck.

Delete the EGR and the downstream 02 sensors will do nothing for you except clean up some plumbing and wiring.

The Ford NP205 t case, I have done the twin stick NP205 behind the 4r70w into a 84 ranger.
If you search 4r70w and np205 guess who's pictures show up all over the internet? Yup.....mine.
Ill show you how much material to remove from the 4r70w tailhousing, its not that bad. We clearance d enough aluminum to twin stick the np205.
Ford Np205 getting harder to find. There are no low range gear sets available for the np205 so you are stuck with stock gearing. It is nice to be able to twin stick it, send power just up front....great for off road
The Np205 is a heavy case but also very compact, if it fit a 1984 Ranger frame it will fit in your sport no problem. You will need to build a second support of some kind IMO, I built a simple one off the drivers frame rail. The 84 Ranger we put this t case in has been a 5.0 daily driver for 10+ years now....the np205 t case works great, even in a daily driver.
k4Cx7RbH33pdhLwDvj6kau_dHmQI2tNIjP0LZZcdzYpbuM0eRQ.jpg

0KgfKDuDXM_n4WUnkJgxPhVhSes9mO73O3Jx55ExZ5wVtQ48Cg.jpg

oslcGB3arGmhdRwjbMJihztTjfB17_lFzv0OzL1Ej1gLrf0ong.jpg

171_101027_130000001.jpg

171_101027_140000002.jpg

Consider a BW4406m t case instead, just some friendly advice. It fits perfectly and the driveshafts are much easier to fabricate then a NP205. The 4406 is a very good case available in manual shift and e shift for these trucks.

The 4r70w has the same mounting flange for its mount as the earlier AOD and AODE, not C6
Recently I used a F150 prothane "urethane" trans mount in a 5.0 Ranger that is using a 4406e t case....a nice upgrade. Works fine with the 4r70w.
Prothane F150 mount in a 07 Ranger 5.0 w 4r70w:
171_192322_320000003-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• 171_101027_120000000.jpg
    171_101027_120000000.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Allright Ill take on this challenge!

Easiest 5.0 swap there is..

PATS
The 01 5.0 donor has a pats key, pats module behind the pass airbag and the PCM
As long as the key, the pats module and the PCM are installed in your sport it will run
No need to delete the PATS as your sport and 5.0 donor use the same system, all you have to do is change your lock tumbler to use the 5.0 key and add the 5.0 pats module behind the pass airbag. Now to take this a step further we usually also swap the door lock cylinders and the hatch key to parts from the 5.0 donor, so one key works the whole truck.

Delete the EGR and the downstream 02 sensors will do nothing for you except clean up some plumbing and wiring.

The Ford NP205 t case, I have done the twin stick NP205 behind the 4r70w into a 84 ranger.
If you search 4r70w and np205 guess who's pictures show up all over the internet? Yup.....mine.
Ill show you how much material to remove from the 4r70w tailhousing, its not that bad. We clearance d enough aluminum to twin stick the np205.
Ford Np205 getting harder to find. There are no low range gear sets available for the np205 so you are stuck with stock gearing. It is nice to be able to twin stick it, send power just up front....great for off road
The Np205 is a heavy case but also very compact, if it fit a 1984 Ranger frame it will fit in your sport no problem. You will need to build a second support of some kind IMO, I built a simple one off the drivers frame rail. The 84 Ranger we put this t case in has been a 5.0 daily driver for 10+ years now....the np205 t case works great, even in a daily driver.
View attachment 320061

View attachment 320062

View attachment 320063

View attachment 320065

View attachment 320066

Consider a BW4406m t case instead, just some friendly advice. It fits perfectly and the driveshafts are much easier to fabricate then a NP205. The 4406 is a very good case available in manual shift and e shift for these trucks.

The 4r70w has the same mounting flange for its mount as the earlier AOD and AODE, not C6
Recently I used a F150 prothane "urethane" trans mount in a 5.0 Ranger that is using a 4406e t case....a nice upgrade. Works fine with the 4r70w.
Prothane F150 mount in a 07 Ranger 5.0 w 4r70w:
View attachment 320067
Thank You 410 Fortune, gave me some great info, I am a little concerned about my Sport being built after 7/24/00 and being the type E PATS as compared to the earlier 01's being the type B PATS,don't know myself but will compare trucks & see if they have the same modules, also great info of the transfer cases, sorry but I'm sold on the 205 case, bought mine tonight & drug home, was trying to scrape & save the old mating gasket to use for a template but ended up destroying it, I'll have to find a new one, plan on eventually adding a Magnum box in front for better gear selection but for now the 205 fits so nice, same size as 1354 case, plan down the road to remove stock fuel tank & install a fuel cell behind rear axle to make room for Magnum box & to 4 link rearend.
After 5.0 swap is done will wheel for the summer then have a pair of axles from a 79 F150, HP 44 front with control arms & 9" rear, realize that with my 01 having torsion bars & lower frame rise over front axle may add some difficulty but think I can make it work, haven't decided if to use the stock control arms , to stretch them or to go with aftermarket, any advice on this, also planning coilovers for front springs & hoping to ride on 37" tires, Thanks for all the help!

Jamie, could you not just swap out the engine bay wiring harness and call it a day? The cab harness should be the same. Not sure if the trans harness is the same, but knowing Ford , I would think so.

I would look into a full width 8.8 out of a late 80's, early 90's f-150/Bronco. That way your speedometer works, and you still get the same bolt pattern as the D44. Plus you can swap over your disc brakes with slight modification.

There is no need
The truck side of the wiring needs very very few modifications to accept the 5.0 and the 5.0 drivetrain wiring harness.
All Fords 1996+ use teh 42 pin underhood connector....all drivetrain to truck connections needed for conversions are found in this plug.
(connector C110, c112, or c115 depending on which RBV we are dealing with)

I mean think of it like this, coming down the assembly line a 99 explorer could get 4.0, 4.0 sohc, or 5.0....so the truck side of things not much changed.
The tachometer wire moves positions behind the instrument cluster, the body maybe fitted with e shift 4x4 or control trac 4x4, the 5.0 of course not.....not many other changes on the truck side of things.

So to put a 5.0 into any of these trucks just really requires a few wires moved and or added. The big differences between v6 and 5.0 are in the starter/alternator charging harness, the wires are simply routed differently v6 vs v8. Easy to fix.
Also the v8 sometimes require one additional nss wire because they never had low range the NSS feed wire to the 4x4 control module is MIA
The other change is the 01+ v6 trucks use the PCM to buffer the vss speed signal, something the 5.0 PCM never did. That's why I use the Dakota digital box to take the place of the missing v6 pcm
The AC wiring is a little different explorer vs ranger/sport/sport trac.....super easy to change out also. The V8 pcm controls the AC relay on the explorer v8, in the ranger the dash controls the ac relay, again easy to wire around.

So no changes to the truck side of things needed really, worst case SOME wires in the big 42 pin connector (C110, 112, 115 depending on the vehicle in question) need to move locations, these are year to year changes.... explorers had oil level sensor, air ride suspension, center console message center, etc etc these wires are easy to delete, move, etc

So back to the PATS issue

Even if your Sport uses the later PATS system that does not have a PATS module behind the glove box I have you covered. I recently converted a 2002 Sport trac to a 5.0 using a 99 5.0 donor, we simply piggybacked the 1999 pats module into the 02 wiring harness under the steering column = 99 pcm happy. See here:

171_261058_300000001.jpg

171_261058_300000002.jpg

I covered all the wiring needed for a 99 to 02 (job2) in that thread :)

You can do this, Ill provide the wiring info, finally all the wiring info for a job2 5.0 conversion IN ONE PLACE AND COMPLETE

Last edited:

The NP205 t case is awesome! I would run 80W-140 synthetic gear lube in the NP205. We ran Mercon III in ours and it heated up enough to spit out fluid a time or two. Now its running the gear lube and seems to be happy.
Just know you are stuck with the 1.9:1 low range or whatever it is until you add a doubler box.... the only drawback to the Ford NP205, no lower gears avail!!!!!!!

The NP205 to transmission mating gasket is the same gasket any ford 6 bolt t case uses....just trim it to clear the shift linkage

The radius arms on that dana 44 axle are the least of your concerns, you can wrist the passenger side radius arm and get massive articulation on the trail.. the bigger challenge is to add a steering gear box since your sport is currently rack and pinion.

Hope this helps!

The NP205 t case is awesome! I would run 80W-140 synthetic gear lube in the NP205. We ran Mercon III in ours and it heated up enough to spit out fluid a time or two. Now its running the gear lube and seems to be happy.
Just know you are stuck with the 1.9:1 low range or whatever it is until you add a doubler box.... the only drawback to the Ford NP205, no lower gears avail!!!!!!!

The NP205 to transmission mating gasket is the same gasket any ford 6 bolt t case uses....just trim it to clear the shift linkage

The radius arms on that dana 44 axle are the least of your concerns, you can wrist the passenger side radius arm and get massive articulation on the trail.. the bigger challenge is to add a steering gear box since your sport is currently rack and pinion.

Hope this helps!
The wristed control arms are aftermarket? Who should I get them from? I’ve saved the steering box off the 79 150 & have another off a 01 150 hoping that I can graft 1 of them on, 79 arm faces back & 01 faces forward, hoping to add a steering assist ram down the road, can this be done with a ford steering box?

it can be done with the Ford two bolt box yes, however many people who have done the SAS on a Explorer/Ranger with the SLA IFS front suspension have discovered there are better/easier to adapt in steering gear boxes, I hear toyota and Nissan gear boxes mentioned often for this.

Back