• Register Today It's free!

New Member, 1st Explorer

BigSouth

Reaction score
City, State
Archdale, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys. I finally parted ways with my lifted '87 F-150 4x4 and wifey got me a '02 Explorer XLT 4x4 for Christmas. Its pretty much everything I would have wanted in an Explorer except for 1 thing...its a V6 :(...but I can't say anything to her about it because it was a gift...so for now, I will just deal with it for a bit.

Since I'm used to driving a V8, it drives me nuts to lack the "get up and go" in this thing. I also love the offroad look, but I'm hesitant to lift it with it just being a V6...and the fact that this transmission seems to be notoriously fail.

I have tried searching for threads/info on lifting a V6 Explorer, but haven't really found anything that was clear to how it performed and handled, etc. Have any of you successfully lifted/modified a V6 SOHC? Is it even worth messing with it? I'm almost tempted to just keep it as is for daily driving and use the money to buy me a weekend "toy" (found a local full size '89 Bronco XLT already lifted and good to go)

I've just seen some of your lifted Explorers, and I'm massively jealous...and depressed that I have a V6 :(

Forever a power *****....

BigSouth

Power is not very useful off road except for breaking things faster. No depression necessary. That said, I will be dropping a 5.0 into my Sport Trac when the day comes. That's because I do drive on pavement also.

There are ways to lift your Explorer. Start here:
http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290074

Back