New Member: 2009 Eddie Bauer with excessive wind noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member: 2009 Eddie Bauer with excessive wind noise

Cofresi

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
My 2009 Explorer has a lot of wind noise right at my ear level. It increases as the speed increases. I've taken it to two dealers and they say nothing. I was told to take it to a body shop as there is possibility the window is slightly off its guides. If I firmly press the window at the site of the noise it will subside 80%. I don't know if that is a hint to as what is wrong. Anyone have the same problem, had it diagnosed or fixed? It drives me crazy and I am thinking of unloading it. The vehicle is very well taken care of, only 123K, I've owned it for three years and the previous owner babied it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check door hinges and door/window wind insulators mount clips broken. Make sure window seal pressing firmly on the window frame all around the door frame.window seal to follow the exact window frame shape .replace the seal or use rtv adhesive.

In case of window glass play,replace the guides and the window regulator mechanism

Check door hinges and door/window wind insulators mount clips broken. Make sure window seal pressing firmly on the window frame all around the door frame.window seal to follow the exact window frame shape .replace the seal or use rtv adhesive.

In case of window glass play,replace the guides and the window regulator mechanism
Thanks I will go down the checklist.

My 2009 Explorer has a lot of wind noise right at my ear level. It increases as the speed increases. I've taken it to two dealers and they say nothing. I was told to take it to a body shop as there is possibility the window is slightly off its guides. If I firmly press the window at the site of the noise it will subside 80%. I don't know if that is a hint to as what is wrong. Anyone have the same problem, had it diagnosed or fixed? It drives me crazy and I am thinking of unloading it. The vehicle is very well taken care of, only 123K, I've owned it for three years and the previous owner babied it.
You might have the same issue I had with my 2010 Mountaineer. There was a wind noise like you describe where it got worse as the speed climbed. It was right in my ear and I noticed that when I pushed the window seal along the B pillar in the direction of the pillar and against the door frame the wind noise would stop. Then it would return a few minutes later because the seal would move away from the door frame and cause the a gap in the seal. The fix for me was to buy some 1/2" wide 3M double sided foam tape about an 1/8" thick. Then while pushing the seal toward the rear window frame, pulling up the lip of the seal on the interior side, I then place a strip of 3M tape on the door frame. Then while keeping keeping the seal pushed against the window frame I let the seal seat on the 3M tape. I held it down for a about a minute to make sure the tape had a good grip on the seal. It is easier if you have another person helping you. This eliminated the wind noise that was annoying me. I did the same thing to the passenger side to make sure it wouldn't have the same issue. My guess is that when you press the window against the seal you are closing the gap and having the same effect as the 3M tape provides for me. Also, I waited until the weather was warmer to do this because I was afraid the 3M tape might not grip as well if the seal and door frame was too cold.

You might have the same issue I had with my 2010 Mountaineer. There was a wind noise like you describe where it got worse as the speed climbed. It was right in my ear and I noticed that when I pushed the window seal along the B pillar in the direction of the pillar and against the door frame the wind noise would stop. Then it would return a few minutes later because the seal would move away from the door frame and cause the a gap in the seal. The fix for me was to buy some 1/2" wide 3M double sided foam tape about an 1/8" thick. Then while pushing the seal toward the rear window frame, pulling up the lip of the seal on the interior side, I then place a strip of 3M tape on the door frame. Then while keeping keeping the seal pushed against the window frame I let the seal seat on the 3M tape. I held it down for a about a minute to make sure the tape had a good grip on the seal. It is easier if you have another person helping you. This eliminated the wind noise that was annoying me. I did the same thing to the passenger side to make sure it wouldn't have the same issue. My guess is that when you press the window against the seal you are closing the gap and having the same effect as the 3M tape provides for me. Also, I waited until the weather was warmer to do this because I was afraid the 3M tape might not grip as well if the seal and door frame was too cold.
That's exactly what I decided to do and you confirm it. I ordered several different size 3M self adhesive weather stripping and plan on putting it right behind the guide which can be peeled back. Yes I need more 'pressure' against the window via the window guide which is lose. When I press the glass outwards while driving the 90% of the noise stops. I may not have explained my plan of attack to match what you said but I think we are talking the same language in terms of diagnosis and remedy.

That's exactly what I decided to do and you confirm it. I ordered several different size 3M self adhesive weather stripping and plan on putting it right behind the guide which can be peeled back. Yes I need more 'pressure' against the window via the window guide which is lose. When I press the glass outwards while driving the 90% of the noise stops. I may not have explained my plan of attack to match what you said but I think we are talking the same language in terms of diagnosis and remedy.
I agree with you in that the wind noise this gap makes was driving me crazy too. When I started pulling the seal away from the window framing it became apparent that there is NOTHING holding the seal to the frame tightly. It just floats around and allows gaps to develop. I suspect many, many people have this issue and just learn to live with it.

I agree with you in that the wind noise this gap makes was driving me crazy too. When I started pulling the seal away from the window framing it became apparent that there is NOTHING holding the seal to the frame tightly. It just floats around and allows gaps to develop. I suspect many, many people have this issue and just learn to live with it.
Yup. 100%.

My friend had this issue with his excursion. The fix was pushing a flexible tube inside the rubber door seal.

My friend had this issue with his excursion. The fix was pushing a flexible tube inside the rubber door seal.
That's essentially what I am going to do when the weather gets a bit warmer. I'm using a small thin self adhesive weather stripping.

Back