New Member: 95 keyless entry fob/remote question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member: 95 keyless entry fob/remote question

DJC333

Reaction score
City, State
East Berlin, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a 95 Ford Explorer XLT(never owned one before). I would like to know if my vehicle has a keyless entry system. I bought the proper fob but my vehicle won't go into the program mode(tried 30+ times), so that's why I'm here asking if my vehicle even has keyless entry and what to look for to verify if I do or don't. I don't have the buttons on the door, if that helps. I'm a bit spoiled with my other vehicles having this feature :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean remote door locks? I suspect all XLTs came with remote power door locks.

Just looked... no RAP module :( not even the plugs :banghead: Would I be able to wire one in? It looks do-able.

What does RAP have to do with remote door locks? Are we talking the same thing?

What does RAP have to do with remote door locks? Are we talking the same thing?

RAP = Remote Anti-theft Personality module and is part of the keyless entry remote, keypad on the drivers door, and anti-theft system from the factory. it was not introduced by Ford until 1998. the cheapest Explorer models didn't have it and 95-97 didn't have it. an after market remote entry system would be the easiest way to add the remote function to a vehicle that didn't come with it.

I'm gonna look on AllData when at work. The black mulex block looks exactly like the ones with RAP modules without the RAP harness. Schematics here I come. If I can't do it, Viper will have a new customer cuz I hate being in a rush and having to use a key to unlock the door.

Same dilemma here. Aftermarket sounds cheaper and easier. Considering these two, any advice greatly appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-KE1702-Keyless-Entry-System/dp/B000CS9Q6E

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-211HV-1-Way-Keyless-System/dp/B001ANXNIW

Aftermarket is cheaper and easier. I have a Viper alarm in my truck.

Get this: http://www.amazon.com/Viper-3105V-Security-Keyless-package/dp/B00C1T8P1O

I have it, couldn't be happier with it. Works great.

Went through 3 alarms before Viper, all of them had issues..

They didn't install the RAP modules until 10/26/96. Not sure if the wires needed are there but aftermarket sounds like the way to go, ease and price. All I need now is to find out how to pop the 5-speed logo off my shift knob cuz it's vibrating, noisy, and annoying as hell. Gotta keep my finger or hand on it so I keep sane. I tried popping it out with a pocket knife but it's on there and can't unscrew the knob cuz He-man put it on

Thanks DjDom, the Viper 3105V looks like more bang for the buck for almost the same price as the 211HV. My concern is ease of installation. I was in the home A/V business since 1979, and have done hundreds of installs including many high end systems. However, I am intimidated by soldering tiny wires in confined spaces. I am only interested in keyless entry. Alarm, starter kill, horn chirping, etc. is not important to me. In fact, I still have the OEM POS head unit in my dash with upgraded 6x8 fronts. IMO, anything that doesn't "look" stock is a target, alarm or not. Is the 3105V the way to go, even if I only use the keyless entry? TIA

Do we really need an alarm for a 16 year old truck?

Why not spend the extra $20 for the alarm combo? How much is that iPod you leave in your vehicle worth? It just takes one POS thief to ruin your day

Why not spend the extra $20 for the alarm combo? How much is that iPod you leave in your vehicle worth? It just takes one POS thief to ruin your day
Did that question really deserve an answer? Glad you were polite. PAExplorer, a little thought goes a long way before posting.

Did that question really deserve an answer? Glad you were polite. PAExplorer, a little thought goes a long way before posting.
As well as a follow up reply about replying:p:

Wonder if these are slightly "warm" to the touch? Mom always said, if it sounds too good to be true......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371158624581?lpid=82

Oops, never mind. Missed NO REMOTES in the header. Think I'll go with the 211HV, the 3105V looks seriously labor intensive.

not to get off-topic, but I listen to the Atlanta news every night and there's usually a story about people getting their cars broken into and their stuff getting stolen. typically it happens in condo/apartment parking lots and there's always someone whining about how the thieves got their smart phone, laptop/tablet, credit cards etc. I recall one woman complaining how they got her purse with her, cash, credit cards, checkbook and SS card. these are typically newer higher-end vehicles that have OE alarms, which are useless when the thieves just break a window. I just don't understand why people leave this stuff in their cars in plain sight, in public lots, overnight. what do they expect? to me they get what they deserve. yes, it's a pain to have to lug all your stuff back and forth, but it's more of a pain to have to replace it all. the last time I brought this up, someone countered with "i don't want to have to haul my tools back and forth every day". ok, but then you have to except the risk of leaving them in your car.

RAP = Remote Anti-theft Personality module and is part of the keyless entry remote, keypad on the drivers door, and anti-theft system from the factory. it was not introduced by Ford until 1998. the cheapest Explorer models didn't have it and 95-97 didn't have it. an after market remote entry system would be the easiest way to add the remote function to a vehicle that didn't come with it.

Sorry, I believe you are mistaken. I have a 1995 Explorer XLT that has the factory keyless entry system with the keypad on the door, Anti-Theft, and indeed it has a Rap module. The same Rap module fits 95-97 Explorers.

I recently had problems with the keyless entry where no functions worked so I purchased a used replacement RAP module that solved my problem. I started a thread on it and you can read about it here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416020

If you look at the pics in one of my posts you will see the number 950403 on my Rap unit.That is the manufacturers date, April 3, 1995.

Apparently the OP 95 Explorer does not have a keypad, I would have thought all Explorer XLT's had that feature but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really hate to disagree with koda, but my '97 Eddie Bauer has full remote operation, a door keypad, and a RAP module. It does not have a chipped key and PATS, however - I think that is what started in 1998.

Back