New member deciding on 2018 Explorer or waiting on 2019 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member deciding on 2018 Explorer or waiting on 2019

AT0204

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mazda 3 sport
Hello everyone,

Basically Ive been in the market for a new Explorer for about 4 months. Now I'm at the point of ordering a new 2018 with some added discounts, or wait to see what the 2019 model will include. I wont need the vehicle till around October so I have time. Has anyone heard of any new options for the 2019 other than new color choices? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There has been some discussion on the 2019. Most seem to agree that will be a short production year. I think there will little or no change from the current 2018 because the 2020 model, to be released in 2019, will be a redesign with rumoured RWD with AWD availability and on a new platform with new engine options. If you need a vehicle by October you may be stretching it to get a 2019. The 2019 Explorer starts production on September 10th and you could likely count on at least a 8-10 week wait for delivery or longer depending upon how many orders are in the queue at that time. Orders will be accepted beginning June 13th.
2019 Explorer specs

Peter

Or you could go the other direction: since very little changed between 2017 and 2018, and the consensus is that there will be little to no changes for 2019, why not take advantage of the even bigger incentives that dealers and Ford are offering to get rid of the 2017 inventory? I just checked in my area (SF Bay Area) and there are still 29 units (all trim levels) sitting on lots within a 20-mile radius of me.

Or since you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on that shrinking inventory and see how far you can push into the 2018 calendar year when you should see more and more pressure to sell.

Not that I'm biased, but I still feel the 2017 MY is the sweet spot of tech and style. I prefer the look of the 2017 over the slightly muted 2018 (foglights). Although quad pipes on the Sport/Platinum are a definite plus if you go that route. I wouldn't go earlier than 2017 because Sync 3.

May want to wait and see what the 360 system is all about, supposed to be on the 19's.

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer Limited with the technology package. The 360 system doesn't sound much different, but, you never know.

Yes, everything in 360 is available today in one or more packages (or standard on upper trim levels). Ford's intention is to make all these safety features standard in all of their cars and trucks within the next few model years.

MY 2019 Will be a short production yr because the my 2020 will be in the works quickly in 2019. My lease is up on 2019 November, so i will be looking into the 2020 depending on the redesign. If i don't like it i will be going to the Lincoln line or Land rover VELAR...Let's see what happens.

Thanks for all the information guys. Yeah my gut felling is that the 2019 will not have many changes over the 2018 model, maybe a few more color choices, and slightly different technology packages. My plan was to have one ordered while overseas and have it delivered at location on going to in the states. The sales person told me they would be closing down the Ford factory to retool for the 2019 model soon, so I may be stuck with ordering a 2019 model anyways, unless i get one from there already built inventory, from which they don't have many Limited models.

........The sales person told me they would be closing down the Ford factory to retool for the 2019 model soon, so I may be stuck with ordering a 2019 model anyways, unless i get one from there already built inventory, from which they don't have many Limited models.
Final order date appears to be May 25th.

Peter

I wouldn’t bother worry about changes. 2019 is the last year before a platform change. Any changes will probably be cost or uniformity of production related, in advance of retooling. Make your decision based on when you need the vehicle.

Thanks for all the information guys. Yeah my gut felling is that the 2019 will not have many changes over the 2018 model, maybe a few more color choices, and slightly different technology packages. My plan was to have one ordered while overseas and have it delivered at location on going to in the states. The sales person told me they would be closing down the Ford factory to retool for the 2019 model soon, so I may be stuck with ordering a 2019 model anyways, unless i get one from there already built inventory, from which they don't have many Limited models.
Sometimes Ford will make a big production run before a model change and offer big discounts or rebates. Something to consider.

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer Limited with the technology package. The 360 system doesn't sound much different, but, you never know.
I thought the 360 system had to do with the camera view. No one ever mentioned what it related to. If it is the sound system then I believe it pretty well already is most vehicles with the way/position speakers are mounted.
BTW, congrats on the new Limited. Seems it took 7 years for your first posts.:)

Peter

I thought the 360 system had to do with the camera view. No one ever mentioned what it related to. If it is the sound system then I believe it pretty well already is most vehicles with the way/position speakers are mounted.
BTW, congrats on the new Limited. Seems it took 7 years for your first posts.:)

Peter
I bought a 2008 Mountaineer Premium AWD in late 07 that I put out to pasture 3 weeks ago, after 10 years and 170 K. The 2018 Explorer Limited is a much different vehicle, but, so am I after 10 years. The Explorer is I purchased is near Lincoln in look and feel. The new (to me) tech is amazing.

So I see there are 2 engine choices for the limited, one is a 2.3-liter eco boost with 280hp and 310 pound-feet of torque. Then there's the standard 3.5-liter V6 engine, which can give you 290 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque

Which one do you guys think is better, the only benefit from the 2.3 is better gas mileage for just -10 hp. Although that may be minimal at best. While I think the V6 is necessary for towing anything.

Pretty much you nailed it on the head.

The 2.3 Ecoboost has better grunt down low, with the higher torque rating, but modestly lower horsepower. It gives you better fuel economy, particularly in a FWD application. The 2.3 comes with the lighter-duty 6F35, compared with the n/a 3.5’s 6F50/6F55 transmission (depending on application). Assuming you get a trailer tow package, the smaller Ecoboost costs you a class III hitch and 2000 pounds towing capacity, as it is only available with a class II with max 3000 pound capacity. If you don’t get a towing package, it doesn’t matter which engine you pick, or if the vehicle is FWD or AWD, you’re stuck at 2000 on an aftermarket hitch.

Towing selector guide:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Oct9.pdf

I was unable to find a 2.3 to test drive in my area, so I can’t speak about how it drives. Most vehicles for sale around here are n/a 3.5s or 3.5 Ecoboost. I’m very happy with the naturally aspirated 3.5. It’s just powerful enough for the size of the vehicle. It does get somewhat low fuel economy compared with what the newest F-150s and Expeditions are showing Ford’s powertrains are capable of, but it is an older design at this point.

Pretty much you nailed it on the head.

The 2.3 Ecoboost has better grunt down low, with the higher torque rating, but modestly lower horsepower. It gives you better fuel economy, particularly in a FWD application. The 2.3 comes with the lighter-duty 6F35, compared with the n/a 3.5’s 6F50/6F55 transmission (depending on application). Assuming you get a trailer tow package, the smaller Ecoboost costs you a class III hitch and 2000 pounds towing capacity, as it is only available with a class II with max 3000 pound capacity. If you don’t get a towing package, it doesn’t matter which engine you pick, or if the vehicle is FWD or AWD, you’re stuck at 2000 on an aftermarket hitch.

Towing selector guide:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Oct9.pdf

I was unable to find a 2.3 to test drive in my area, so I can’t speak about how it drives. Most vehicles for sale around here are n/a 3.5s or 3.5 Ecoboost. I’m very happy with the naturally aspirated 3.5. It’s just powerful enough for the size of the vehicle. It does get somewhat low fuel economy compared with what the newest F-150s and Expeditions are showing Ford’s powertrains are capable of, but it is an older design at this point.

I have the naturally aspersred 3.5 L AWD. My thought is that it would be more reliable than either of the turbos and has plenty of power.

I have the naturally aspersred 3.5 L AWD. My thought is that it would be more reliable than either of the turbos and has plenty of power.

The eco boost engines have been out for 8+ years now and have had no more issues then any other motor that wasn't turbo. Turbos are far different these days then the 80s.

The eco boost engines have been out for 8+ years now and have had no more issues then any other motor that wasn't turbo. Turbos are far different these days then the 80s.

I used to lease 2014 XLT n/a but when I test drove 2016 Sport, I was amazed on how faster it was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As blwnsmoke said, the EcoBoost engines have been out a long time and haven’t shown any major *reliability* issues over their naturally aspirated counterparts. The 3.5L EcoBoost in particular has proven itself extensively in other, more demanding applications, such as the F-150. I wouldn’t make the decision based on the turbo, at this point.

In fact, I own an 1.5L EcoBoost Escape SE 4WD. While it’s a little buzzy and nowhere near as powerful as the engine in my Explorer, it’s a great engine. I like it better than the 2.5L I-4 it has largely replaced at Ford for non-fleet sales, which is what I had in my Fusion.

The main reasons *I* selected the 3.5L naturally aspirated for my Explorer were because the 2.3L EcoBoost didn’t offer enough fuel economy advantage over the 3.5L in a 4WD application, the towing capacity was less, and the 3.5L EcoBoost was more power (and the available trim levels more expensive) than we needed. But just because they weren’t ideal for me doesn’t mean they aren’t ideal for many.

EcoBoost isn’t that old 1970s and 1980s turbo technology folks remember.

Back