New Member, Doing Work On My 2004 Explorer Soon! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member, Doing Work On My 2004 Explorer Soon!

forrestschell

Reaction score
City, State
West Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4L FlexFuel
first off i would like to thank everybody for having me! i found the group by just searching google for things about my 2004 Explorer XLT V6 4.0 Flex-Fuel i just purchased. its in phenomenal shape. 113,000 miles on it. i just replaced the transmission fluid in it and the transmission filter as well. i also put royal purple oil in it with a motorcraft oil filter at 112,000 miles when i bought it. i installed an appradio 3 (sph-da210) into it. the only issues i have are that the back panel is cracked which i have seen is a extremely common issue along with the blend door which i will replace soon. the heat still works if i leave it a notch under all the way. also no matter what i set the setting i put it to, defrosts, dash, feet, it always blows out of the dash. i have no idea on that one. next weekend i plan on replacing the fluids in the transfer case and both of the differentials. what should i do about the air issue? i plan ordering all my gaskets, fluids, and the blend door this week at some point. also what do you guys recommend for the differential fluid and transfer case fluid? i really want to go with royal purple. i want to go with quality. i spent alot of money on the car and i want it to last and take great care of it so i dont mind spending money on good stuff! oh! and im gonna put a new fuel filter on it too! any other suggestions as of to what i should do would be great as i love working on my car! thanks everybody!:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the new-to-you X! If you haven't already seen the fuel filter how-to thread, here is the link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=198626

+1 on the plugs and wires. Check your serpentine belt/idler/tensioner. Consider changing the coolant if not already done.

Oh...and post up some pics!

I highly recommend new spark plugs, and spark plug wires.

I would also recommend ordering all of your parts from this website...http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1430688

it was done by the dealership i bought it from! good call though. glad they used motorcraft. and im gonna do a flush on the radiator fluid as well. i get all my stuff from rock auto i love them. what kind of fluids should i get? im thinking royal purple for the differentials. i have no clue for the transfer case idk if royal purple even makes something for that. i will check the belt when i do all the other stuff to it. what kind of fluid should i get for the coolant? the current coolant is gold and smells really bad..

how do i post pictures????

Mobil 1 will go 30K easy, and cheaper than royal purple

how do i post pictures????

Use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Once your pictures are loaded to the hosting site (follow their tutorial), they will have a URL link under the pic. Copy that URL. When posting here, hit the picture icon at the top of the dialogue box (it looks like a little mountain) then paste the URL from your photo hosting site into the picture address. Sounds confusing, but it's easy once you do it a time or two.

Tranny case should take the same Merc ATF fluid recommend for the transmission (Mercon V for your truck I believe). I'm also a believer in Mobile1 fluids for things like differentials, transfer cases, and transmissions. For motor oil? Either Motorcraft synthetic blend or Havoline... both really cheap at Walmart (Havoline is cheap everywhere) and I change every 5k miles no matter what so I can't justify stupid expensive oil. Never had a motor failure using those two and I've taken motors up to 180k before. Your mileage may vary.

^^^^^^

NOOOO!!!!! Mercon V is NOT FOR TRANSFER CASES!

It will ruin it! It says in every Ford manual, service manual, and specifically states that on the Mercon V bottles! I could not find the correct synthetic fluid for my t-case. I ended up getting regular mercon rated for transfer cases which explorers call for.

PLEASE READ bottles and disregard above statement!

Back