New member- Explorer for first car? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member- Explorer for first car?

John9721

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
0000 0000
Hey guys, I'm John and I'm 16. I am currently looking at a 1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4 for my first car. My dad test drove it this morning and had nothing bad to report. The dealer is asking $1350 but will take around $1200. Would this be a good first car? I live in Iowa so I want something with 4x4. Thanks!

Hey John, My name is Greg and I live in Arizona. I own a first generation Ex and I love it! However first gen Ex's have a finicky transmission. Not a problem for me as I am 47 years old and am a pretty good wrench. The second gen your look'n at does not have this issue so your good to go there. If you plan to modify your Ex you will have to deal with the IFS ( Independent Front Suspension ) so Lift kits tend to be a bit more expensive and complicated. Good learning experience though. The 4.0L engines in these are solid so if the vehicle has been maintained well and for $1350 you will have a good solid and Safe first car, uh TRUCK. please it's only a CAR if your a chick. LOL. Welcome to the Explorer club! if you decide to get the Ex that is. Have fun with your new-to-you truck!

My truck!:::
IMG_20131109_165926_zps54dacafc.jpg

Great first car, 97 explorer was my first car. It's been wrecked, and drove hard. Yet me and the truck are still here. The transmission took a dump at 180,000 miles at a mud bug, but that's the only real problem it's ever gave me.

Great first vehicle. They're tough, reliable and safe. 4x4 will be more expensive on insurance though so make sure you consider that.

Back