• Register Today It's free!

New member from Allentown,Pa

baron4406

Reaction score
City, State
Alburtis,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EddieBauer
Just got a new hunting & fishing beater, a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 159K miles on it, its actually in really nice shape had a recent inspection a 4 brand new Goodyears for only $2200. Every little doo-dad works and it drives real nice. Problems? Will it has the infamous P0101 & P0104 codes for lean condition, has a bad tensioner for the serpentine belt (putting a new one on tomorrow) and the radio works but no display (will be putting in an Alpine unit I have laying around as soon as I figure out how to get the radio out). Will probably end up putting intake gaskets on it since it has the idle surge too. I've been working on cars all my life and built a few race cars so I do all my own work. This is actually my first Ford since my '87 HO Mustang I had 15 years ago. Hopefully I'll get a few years out of the old Explorer and I'll be lurking on this site doing searches.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum im in philly and go to pepboys or autozone and buy the pins to remove the factory radio they are like 5 bucks its like two U's you push in and pull side to side and slide the radio out

welcome man 5.0 im guessing? really the second gens are great and last a long time (I have 232,075 miles on mine with no engine or tranny work done). only problem ive seen with every second gen everywhere is ball joints and tie rods. But besides that, the 5.0 and the 4R70W is one of the best drive train combinations ford ever came out with (IMO) lol

welcome

Thanks guys. To give you a little more info I'm 41, and have had upwards of 60+ cars in my life. Up until about 4 years ago every single car with a few exceptions, we "fast" cars. From my humble beginnings of a '69 Z28 and '69 383 Charger to my last performance cars I got into- AWD DSM's . Kinda ironic I now have an Explorer that has the same idle problems the DSM's are known for. Anyway can anyone here give me a little newbie help?? On the top of my platic intake there is a sort of cylinder thingy, this is brand new the previous owner must have been trying to nail down the idle problem. Now towards the back of the intake there is a square plate bolted to the intake with a small rod coming up, there is nothing attached to it-except that just behind it there is a vacuum actuator with a rod that seems to go in the general direction of the square plate. When you hit the gas (and vacuum drops) this rod jumps back-but its not connected to anything. WTF is this?? I can't find any diagrams on the top of the intake to see if this is supposed to be connected. Thanks

Welcome to another PA Resident.

The cylinder is most likely your Idle Air Control valve, and that would dovetail in with someone trying to fix the idle.

As far as the dashpot and square piece, I do believe that they are supposed to be connected.

Thanks I just got up from swapping out my serpentine belt tensioner, not a fun job is this balmy 16 degree weather, however it needed to be done and now no more squeaky belts. As far as the ISC, I kinda figured that's what it was after looking at it close-like I said its brand new. If anyone could show me how this other deal behind the ISC is connected I'd appreciate it. I'm sure it does SOMETHING. Thanks for the help so far, this forum looks like its gonna be alot of help.

yup we have alot of great mined in the pool here ^_^

Welcome from Reading, PA :)

Ok I've been searching this site all day, plus searching the internet and have yet to find out what this thing does, I looked on my dad's 2001 Sport Trac but the intake is different. So lets try this, does anyone have a 1998 SOHC 4.0 that they have a picture of the intake? I wanna find out what this thing behind the ISC is.......and what its supposed to be connected to.

Back