• Register Today It's free!

New Member from Puerto Rico, USA

PeacemakerPR

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello everyone, first of all kudos for this forum. Been reading it for a while and finally registered as a member. First of all my name is Antonio and I'm a 38 years old guy who just bought his first SUV. Lived in Atlanta, GA for a year back in 1998-1999 and loved it. Back in PR ever since. As I said I just bought my first SUV and it's a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS.

Here are a couple of pictures of it:

Explorer3.jpg
-
Explorer4.jpg

Explorer5.jpg
-
Explorer9.jpg

Been driving it for only three weeks but I absoloutely love it. Bought it with 69K on the odo and paid less than 10K for it. Interiors look taken amazingly good care of and the exterior has just a scratch on the passengers side rear door. Took it back to the dealership as the door open warning chime started acting up and going off at odd times, dealership didn't know what the problem was so I started researching on the net for this problem. Found a quick fix on an Australian Explorer forum that said to just disconnect the purple plug that connects right on top of the ignition cylinder, but since I didn't wanted to just start disconnecting things around I just "jiggled" it a little and surprisingly enough, problem's gone! My guess it's a faulty plug not making good contact, anyway problem was solved.

Any info or tips on proper maintenance (besides Ford's maintenance schedule) will be well received as I do hope I'm not a victim of the transmission horror stories I've read about lately on this model.

Take care,

PeacemakerPR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Thanks a lot guys, just getting kind of "addicted" to it. Spent a couple of hours reading through the different sections yesterday and last night and it's amazing the amount of advice, quick fixes and reccomendations found in this Explorer forum. Without a doubt this is the best Explorer Forum I've found so far.

PeacemakerPR

Welcome to this forum!

Thanks a lot BrooklynBay! Got a question for you, although it might be a stupid one but take into account this is my first SUV and I was previously driving a never say die 1993 Toyota Corolla.

I was going through your list of useful threads and I found your "Transmission life expectancy charts" and was wondering, how in the world can I know what temperature my tranny is receiving or producing?

Thought I'd like to know what to expect with my transmission since I've read so many horror stories on the 2002 Explorer. Just curious I guess. Most of my driving is done in the city, once in a while on highways with speeds around 60-65 MPH but I don't plan on ever towing anything with it.

Should I be worried or just take it in stride. Never heard of Explorers with transmission problems here in Puerto Rico and was wondering if what I've read could be caused because of people doing more off terrain kind of driving and towing boats or whatever with their Explorers.

Scan tools could read the temperature from a sensor which is located on the internal transmission wiring harness. Many people have added a temperature sensor with a gauge to read the temperature without a scan tool. They have this mounted either on the dashboard or on their door panel.

Scan tools could read the temperature from a sensor which is located on the internal transmission wiring harness. Many people have added a temperature sensor with a gauge to read the temperature without a scan tool. They have this mounted either on the dashboard or on their door panel.

Thanks for the input BrooklynBay. I will definitely look forward to adding the temperature sensor with the gauge in the future.

Back