Solved - New member! Need help ASAP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved New member! Need help ASAP!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Lia Avila

Reaction score
City, State
Oglala, South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased a 1991 Ford Explorer, everything ran great until several weeks ago. My engine overheats, radiator fluid bubbles and boils into the reserve tank but doesn't leak under the engine. Haven't seen any white smoke indicating a broken gasket. Checked the oil for any water spots, nothing. Got the thermostat changed out, still overheated. Bought a water pump, hopefully that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check that the lower radiator hose is not getting soft and( collapsing) when drawing water thru the radiator. With engine up to temp , rev the engine and watch the lower radiator hose.

Also, clean out the reservoir. junk will build up in there, allowing pressure to go into the reservoir, and since the nipple is on the bottom, it will settle there and clog when trying to flow back to the radiator.

Check that the lower radiator hose is not getting soft and( collapsing) when drawing water thru the radiator. With engine up to temp , rev the engine and watch the lower radiator hose.

Also, clean out the reservoir. junk will build up in there, allowing pressure to go into the reservoir, and since the nipple is on the bottom, it will settle there and clog when trying to flow back to the radiator.

The bottom radiator hose is fine, I may have to replace the top hose. It slightly collapses. The reserve tank hose/plug is fine, there is no clog because when the engine cools down the radiator fluid goes right back into the radiator. I took the water pump out and that looks like it seriously needed to be replaced. Stay tuned for more updates.

It was the water pump. Car is fixed now.

Back