Solved - New member! Need help ASAP! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Solved New member! Need help ASAP!

Lia Avila

Reaction score
City, State
Oglala, South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased a 1991 Ford Explorer, everything ran great until several weeks ago. My engine overheats, radiator fluid bubbles and boils into the reserve tank but doesn't leak under the engine. Haven't seen any white smoke indicating a broken gasket. Checked the oil for any water spots, nothing. Got the thermostat changed out, still overheated. Bought a water pump, hopefully that works.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Check that the lower radiator hose is not getting soft and( collapsing) when drawing water thru the radiator. With engine up to temp , rev the engine and watch the lower radiator hose.

Also, clean out the reservoir. junk will build up in there, allowing pressure to go into the reservoir, and since the nipple is on the bottom, it will settle there and clog when trying to flow back to the radiator.

Lia Avila

Reaction score
City, State
Oglala, South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Check that the lower radiator hose is not getting soft and( collapsing) when drawing water thru the radiator. With engine up to temp , rev the engine and watch the lower radiator hose.

Also, clean out the reservoir. junk will build up in there, allowing pressure to go into the reservoir, and since the nipple is on the bottom, it will settle there and clog when trying to flow back to the radiator.

The bottom radiator hose is fine, I may have to replace the top hose. It slightly collapses. The reserve tank hose/plug is fine, there is no clog because when the engine cools down the radiator fluid goes right back into the radiator. I took the water pump out and that looks like it seriously needed to be replaced. Stay tuned for more updates.

Lia Avila

Reaction score
City, State
Oglala, South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
It was the water pump. Car is fixed now.