New Member question about hitch cargo carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member question about hitch cargo carrier

HoppyFX4

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Quick background, bought a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT in October. Wanted the tow package for summer vacation hauling, didn't have one the wife and I wanted on the lot nor in the area in our price range or color/combo. Bottom line...dealer threw in roof rack cross bars for cargo carrier instead of installing aftermarket hitch below. It's worked well and we've enjoyed it. However, I really still want a hitch and after research and calling the dealer I know now that I can have the OEM hitch (with 2K towing) installed with a 4-pin.

Here is my question though, has anyone used the UWS Cargo Carrier with the OEM hitch? We visit the beach about 2x a year and our first trip was a little tight. It measures 52 x 23.5 x 6.5 inches, but I don't know the exact height the OEM sits in ratio to the lift gate. I want to verify that I can still open the hatch if need be. Thanks!

Cargo carrier with hitch

Hoppy,

I will probably be the minority opinion here, but here's my take on the hitch and cargo carrier.

After looking at several different vehicles (Fords) with OEM class III hitches, I was unimpressed. Mainly because the fit and finish under the hitch cover looks like something a Jr High Vocational class would do. (I know...I'll catch hell now...) anyway, I didnt' care for the "look". So...I bought an aftermarket DrawTite hitch, installed it myself in about 30 minutes and for me, it's a cleaner, more finished look, than having the hitch cover off of the OEM hitch, all the time.

The only thing that shows on mine is the 2" receiver part of the hitch. the cross members and frame aren't really visible. I'm sure there are other after market hitch's available that would look just as good as mine. Not advertising mine, just sayin....

The cargo carrier I use is a Dee Zee basket. It looks similar in size to the UWS you're looking at, only mine has a wire mesh basket that extends up about 24" from the bottom frame. Makes loading it and retaining the contents much easier and more secure. Got mine at Tractor Supply for about $200.

Not sure if this answers your question, but it's an option for you.

Good luck.

Hoppy,

I will probably be the minority opinion here, but here's my take on the hitch and cargo carrier.

After looking at several different vehicles (Fords) with OEM class III hitches, I was unimpressed. Mainly because the fit and finish under the hitch cover looks like something a Jr High Vocational class would do. (I know...I'll catch hell now...) anyway, I didnt' care for the "look". So...I bought an aftermarket DrawTite hitch, installed it myself in about 30 minutes and for me, it's a cleaner, more finished look, than having the hitch cover off of the OEM hitch, all the time.

Good luck.
You only have to take the cover off when you plan to tow. Otherwise the cover stays on.

Peter

Back