New Member, Same problems.. (areas of rust, & vibration @ 60) 92 Expl. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member, Same problems.. (areas of rust, & vibration @ 60) 92 Expl.

Kingsblue

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
I just got my 92 Explorer :exp: about a month ago and I love it:p: . I have looked at every one I see in parking lots and I see that most Explorers have some of the same problems. Rusted dog leg and rocker panel, also rust by the gas tank door (obvious design flaw). Other than that I've had no complaints so far :thumbsup: except for the vibration @ 60MPH. My question is, what is the fix for the vibration (read about an old Ford bulletin fix but wondered if it worked and where to get it). Also I'm looking to buy the plastic rocker panel cover or side step/ground effects. I would like to stop it from rusting but for now I want it to look better until I can get time to replace the metal with replacement parts. Also looking for a roof rack since mine doesn't have one. Any advice or links to parts sites would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BrooklynBay. I thought that could be it but I also read of a typical problem on the earlier models. Something to do with a driveshaft balancer. Not sure though. Thanks for your input.

Check your ball joints, spindle nuts and tire balance for the shake.
get the front tires off the ground and check for any looseness by grabbing the tires and trying to shake them. Any looseness could be ball joints or loose spindle nuts, possibly even tie rods. This is all very easy and relatively inexpensive to repair yourself (compared to shop rates)even for a novice.

The plastic rocker covers actually cause rust..

Welcome! Where is Knoxville?

Knoxville

Heh, I hear that alot. It's as north-central as you can get without being in NY. It's a small no-where town.

Ld50 - close to same Ex.. mine's stock.

Hey Ld50, It looks like we have close to the same Ex. Mine is stock of course, and not as good of shape considering mine has some rust. Mine is low mileage though. I like your mods, I read your posts. :exp:

Edit:
Nevermind, mine is nothing like yours. I had no idea you have done so many mods, that's awesome! I read all 17 pages of your one post and am on to the other. Keep it up man. I know my wallet won't let me get quite as addicted to modding, although I can't say that I would mind...

:D
I`m an addict now?
I guess I am, lol

Hey look at my rocker panel repair thread if you want to get rid of that rust

-cheers

vibration @ 60MPH[/B]. My question is, what is the fix for the vibration (read about an old Ford bulletin fix but wondered if it worked and where to get it).

I had the same issues with vibration on '92 (I have had EVERY problem these cars have).
Radius arm bushings helped, but only really went away with 3rd set of tires, Michelins.
I am now getting some more vibration, but I think I need to replace ball joints etc at this point.

Also see http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html

Rick

A lot vibration problems relate to the U-joints on the rear driveshaft. Mine did the same only at certain higher speeds, but has began to wear a bit more, now I have a bit of play in the u-joints and some vibration at lower speeds when off the gas.
I'm replacing them soon.

Back