new member with a busted off spark plug | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member with a busted off spark plug

Can you get a file in the hole of the plug? Or a small hacksaw type blade. Try cutting one side toward the Head threads to thin the Wall of what's left of the Plug. When you saw down to where the Threads from the head start to show, Pick at the end of the Plug, you may be able to collapse the Plug . Picture; a Soup can, take the top and bottom off , then with shears, cut a line up the can. once you do that you can easily squeeze the can and have it fold on itself. same principle by sawing the toward the threads in the head.

I have done this with other Fittings in Pipes with success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thought i might update this.

got the plug out a last weekend.

i ended up pulling the brake master cyl, and brake boosted to make a bit more room for the drill. i started with a pretty small drill bit, just a bit bigger then the hole that was in there. then i took the MAP gas to it, tried the ez out with a 1/2 inch breaker on it. still wouldnt budge.

so i upsized the bit one more time, drill it out, heated it up, but this time, the ez out moved a bit. was a bit worried cause i was n shock it might actually come out! it was slow to come out, but it damn well did.

ran a spark plug chaser to clean up the threads, and now im back using the OEM threads even. since i never fully drilled it out, and just drilled out some of the old spark plug itself. im very happy!

did a compression test. im getting about 160 accross the board. 135 on one cyl. but thats not enough for me to really worry. after all, this is just my beater that wont even be driven daily.

went to change the oil after all this, to find the oil filter adapter was loose, and leaking oil down the side of the block. had to order a new O ring for that. just got it last night, so ill be doing that today.

the truck itself still has a slight miss though. well its just sitting there running, it will have a little stuttur. im gonna clean the maf, and IAC and see if that helps at all. i grabbed a 5.0 maf from my junkyard i might install once its running better. and also have a MAF cone filter, and adapter. ill toss that on with the bigger maf most likely.

just wanted to update everyone, and let everyone know whats going on with the truck. might also help anyone in the future with this same problem researching.

Just curious, but what brand were the plugs that you took out (the ones that siezed in the head)?

autolites

and fromt he look of them, they were the OEM ones in the truck when it was made!

the last two owners of the truck were my fiances grandfather, who recieved it from her dad. grandfather only replaced the battery, and exhaust in the 6 years he owned it. father owned it since 95, and said he knows he never replaced them.

kinda scary...

Someone did, as the originals would have been Motorcraft. This just helps prove the point I made in another posting about what is the best plug for the Explorer. I stated that Autolite is junk because they like to sieze in the heads. You are just helping to prove my point. I'm happy to hear you were able to get them out without having to remove the cylinder heads. Most people are not as patient as you were.

sorry. they were motorcraft. white, with two little blue lines. i have no idea at all why i said auto lites. lol

No way, Jose.

Ford decided to purchase Autolite in 1961 to use their products as an OE manufacturer. Autolite couldn't meet Ford's harsh demands so Ford lost them to Bendix (now Allied-Signal) in 1973.

Ford makes Motorcraft plugs, nobody else.

Back