New member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roadrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer "limited"
wanted to intro myself. just aquired a '95 explorer and am finding myself immediately looking for info about my new ride. the transmission is not engaging well and the o/d off light is blinking. also the explorer wont shift into overdrive. any help with my newest venture would be appreciated. thanks for having a forum for ford rookies! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome

one common problem is the OD band is broken or one of the other bands. it will give a bad code, such as slow solenoid switch or similar but the actual problem is a band

if you drop the tranny cover there might be a part floating around in the pan

The band is cheap $20 and maybe $50 for rebuild seals, but the job is not exactly for the do it yourselfer, and maybe costs the same as the entire vehicle if you paid a mechanic. If really need a tranny the best deal might be picking one up from a wreckers.

preliminary quotes are at $2200-2400 for a complete rebuild of the trans. or around 1800 for a replacement from a wrecker.

Get a new Trans....It's not worth the savings on an unknown Tranny, that will repeat the same problem..

Ryan

could be just a blown valve body gasket...i saw that alot in rangers and explorers with a 4r44e trans...gives the same symptoms

dropped it off tonight at another tranny shop to get a second opinion. really have to weigh the options of spending that much money on a vehicle that only books for that much. they will run a full computer diagnosis and several other tests for no cost. cant hurt to let someone else have a look.

Back