• Register Today It's free!

Foxhound_22

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
hey there!
im looking into buying a 97 explorer, it is 2wd, 4 door, 4.0 ohv model with 108k on it it has a bad trans, either needs to be replaced or rebuilt
any suggestions or tips, in new to the explorer scene, i had a 01 f150 for a long time but lost it in an accident!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

I have had my 97 XLT -Ohv 4.0, 2wd - for a couple years now and love it! Mine has about 150,000 on it and hasnt given me any real trouble. With a bad tranny tho, you need to get it for the right price. Its not hard to find a new/used tranny for these (I've sold 2 in the last couple years).

You are in the right place for information, good luck with it!

Welcome to the site!

I have had my 97 XLT -Ohv 4.0, 2wd - for a couple years now and love it! Mine has about 150,000 on it and hasnt given me any real trouble. With a bad tranny tho, you need to get it for the right price. Its not hard to find a new/used tranny for these (I've sold 2 in the last couple years).

You are in the right place for information, good luck with it!

they are selling it for 900, im going to try an get it for 700 tho, i think both prices would be a fair deal

Thats not bad. In FL I find them all day long with bad trannys for around $7-1,100. As long as everything else is in good condition its a good investment in my opinion. You can get a used tranny for $100-300. Even to have a good shop rebuild it for around $800 you would have a nice vehicle for about $2,000. I particularly like the ohv 4.0. Its been good for me and Im building one to put into an old Ranger. Again, your in the right place for info, you can have it like new for minimal $$ here!

Thats not bad. In FL I find them all day long with bad trannys for around $7-1,100. As long as everything else is in good condition its a good investment in my opinion. You can get a used tranny for $100-300. Even to have a good shop rebuild it for around $800 you would have a nice vehicle for about $2,000. I particularly like the ohv 4.0. Its been good for me and Im building one to put into an old Ranger. Again, your in the right place for info, you can have it like new for minimal $$ here!

sweet thanks for your help yeah everthing else seems fine! engine sounds good an such too! do you know what kind of trans they have in them?

Welcome to this forum! It has a 5R55E transmission. What's wrong with the transmission? It might not need a new one if it has a valve body issue.
Okay cool stuff. Well they say that it's slipping but that doesn't necessary mean it's bad. I'm just thinking worse case. What do you mean valve body issue?

Check the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary for more information. A lot of things could cause slipping such as loose bands, dark & dirty fluid, partially clogged filter, wrong fluid, failing EPC solenoid, etc. The TCC solenoid is modulated so it's actually designed to have a small percentage of slippage.

Check the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary for more information. A lot of things could cause slipping such as loose bands, dark & dirty fluid, partially clogged filter, wrong fluid, failing EPC solenoid, etc. The TCC solenoid is modulated so it's actually designed to have a small percentage of slippage.
awesome man i appreciate the help an such!

Back