New Member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dunk69

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt
Hello everyone, I am a new member, I came across this forum online whilst looking for information to remove the door panel to change the door ajar switch on the front passenger side on my 2002 Explorer XLT. I Have a few little issues with the vehicle to sort out. I found the door panel removal procedure very useful and intend to change the switch sometime over the next couple of days.

I also have a drivers power seat track mechanism that is not working. the power seat, has no memory positions and grey leather trim, the inside track will not drive either way, the seat got stuck after driving the seat forward during a valet service. The motor is fine and both drive shafts are turning, the problem seems to be with the gearing to the threaded bar. A Ford dealer told me nothing could be done to move the seat back to a normal position and the replacement track assembly would have been $800 to replace if they had not have been discontinued. I removed the seat to free up the rod and set the seat to a mid position manually. I have been looking around online in breakers yards etc. to find a replacement assembly unit without much success. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I assume you are changing your door ajar switch because the light stays on all the time.

Here is some food for thought:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

2002 Explorer Door Ajar Switch Replaced.

Hello BigRondo,
Thank you for the information posted to this door ajar switch replacement comment. I replaced the passenger door ajar switch over the weekend which did fix all my anomalies with the doors, interior light and alarm.
Issues including the following:-
The door ajar alarm indicator light would come up and the alarm sound intermittently when the vehicle was in motion, the interior lights would come on and off when the doors were closed which meant I had to drive without the dashboard panel/interior lights switched off. The alarm was very annoying after a while..! With the exception of locking the truck from the rear door lock switch by the tailgate, the alarm would sound shortly after locking the vehicle when using the remote or by the driver/passenger door switches.
Removal of the door panel and switch replacement was easy after reading the procedure threads below, thank you to the persons responsible for this information. :)
Shame on Ford for charging $91usd for the switch though, I am sure they can be bought for less on line if you shop around for an equivalent part number... (Ford p/n 14018 Right Front Passenger Door Ajar Switch) Ford also quoted 1hr to fit at approximate cost of $120usd.

Now only have to fix the drivers power seat and all will be sweet once again...!

Cheers
Dunk69

Welcome dunk69! And BigRondo is quite right about the fixes he mentioned if you run into those issues again. My 02 ST had broken wires in between the drivers side door and body that also affected my speaker and my stock sub. Also spray some WD-40 in the door hinges and open and close them a few times. I did that with all my doors just to be sure and all is well so far!

Back