New Nav maps available for the 17+ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Nav maps available for the 17+

Mlarv5

Reaction score
City, State
Crossville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum Ruby Red
I just checked the Ford website and it said I have a map update available, and to contact my dealer. Just figured I would give folks a heads up. Ford/Mercury | Home | HERE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes rumor has it map updates for SYNC3 are out. Order-able only by a dealer or parts vendor. Cost is roughly $150 and they need your VIN and APIM serial number. Version is 1.16. Update is via USB and will take roughly 70 minutes to update.

I can't believe they are going to grind their customers for another $150 given how poorly SYNC3 has been executed. Absolutely brutal.

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer w/Sync 3. It has version 3 build 17276 (I believe there is a build 18025 out) and Maps is showing version 1.16.

I just purchased a 2018 Explorer w/Sync 3. It has version 3 build 17296 (I believe there is a build 18025 out) and Maps is showing version 1.16.

Sync 3 version 3 build 17296 is for the radio. You are correct Ford just released a new version of Sync 3. If you go to the Ford Owners website and enter your Vin it will let you know if you need an update. The Nav maps are the NA1.16. I know for my 17 they show maps available as well as my 16 F150. I most likely will not buy them because I use Waze and Android Auto. Although after the last two weeks in TN Android Auto is beginning to tick me off.

Sync 3 version 3 build 17296 is for the radio. Ypue are correct Ford just released a new version of Sync 3. If you go to the Ford Owners website and enter your Vin it will let you know if you neeed an update.......
Apparently the 2018 models come with V3.0 from the factory. Several 2018 owners have reported having the version.

Peter

Spoke to Chris at AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake about buying the Navigation update, and he advised that the update is not available through them yet. So may need to wait a bit.

who do you contact for the map update.....parts dept or service dept?

if you have 2 vehicles, will you have to buy 2 updates?

I would call parts first and see. As far as I know you need to buy maps for each vehicle.

who do you contact for the map update.....parts dept or service dept?

if you have 2 vehicles, will you have to buy 2 updates?

Yes, each map update is locked to the serial number of the APIM (Sync 3 Hardware) with a certificate signed by Ford.

Anyone get the maps yet?

I did for just for fun. Put it in an APIM from a 16 model year vehicle.

Spoke to Chris at AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake about buying the Navigation update again, and he advised that the update is not available through FESG yet, after two and a half months.

I cannot wait until those Ford self driving Explorers come out, then we will not have to worry about software upgrades anymore!

Just a guess but they likely don't know the proper ordering process. It has been available for a while and dealers can order it.

Since Jason mentioned that the 2017 navigation upgrade has been available, can someone chime in as to how the navigation upgrade installation is working out their 2017 Ex?

Ford is crazy. Allows you to update your firmware at home but can't do the maps lol what a joke. How much does Ford charge? I would never pay since I have Google Maps with AA but just curious.

Ford is crazy. Allows you to update your firmware at home but can't do the maps lol what a joke. How much does Ford charge? I would never pay since I have Google Maps with AA but just curious.
Remember that map updates with the prior MFT system were also not free. The maps are not Ford's property. The map info is owned and a copyright of Telenav and supplied to Ford for use in their system. Perhaps at a later date there will be a system in place whereby you can order and pay for the updates online so that you can download a new version to your Explorer by VIN number.

Peter

so how are the updates installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just read on another forum Ford is ceasing the map updates for now. No official reason why. Again...something I read but I do trust the source.

Back