New Navajo Truggy build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navajo Truggy build

Your work just keeps getting wilder & better! Simply Unbelievable. Your work is insane. Do you plan on doing any finish work on the body? Not that it matters much, everyone will be looking at your fab. work anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your work just keeps getting wilder & better! Simply Unbelievable. Your work is insane. Do you plan on doing any finish work on the body? Not that it matters much, everyone will be looking at your fab. work anyway.

My plan was to cut a few tacks and take the whole cage off to weld it. At that time I will probably fix a few things on the body and paint it.

I started tig welding yesterday because I was excited to make the tail light housings.

That was my 2nd attempt at Tig welding by the way. I'm sure you can tell by my arc marks. Buffer should take those out. All welds were done "in position"

I bought a 4x10 sheet of 16 guage 304 SS yesterday. Thats what the tail light housings are made of, tool box, ice chest, pannels, any thing else I can think of. That sheet was $300

it all looks bad ass, subscribed a min back to watch because its awesome. but the tire sticking out like that, not afraid of it catching?

it all looks bad ass, subscribed a min back to watch because its awesome. but the tire sticking out like that, not afraid of it catching?

I located the spare the way I did for a few reasons.
Visibility, center of gravity, departure angle and storage.

If it gets hung up I'll just gas it.

gassing it always work, lol. the only thing i was really thinking of would be rock crawling, coming down from a steep rock and getting stuck, just curious did you think of a roof mount?

Tail lights.

They turned out pretty much the way I wanted them to.

Are they menacing enough???

You can never have too many of these clamps. They come in so handy.
IMG_1337.jpg

All of the pieces were plasma cut free hand.
I chock that up to years on the torch cutting bevels for welders.

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

love the light, makes it look like its staring you down like itll eat you

Good. That's the look I was going for.

I have some ideas for the light bar/ roof rack also. It will be forward facing and aggressive.

Navaho

Just finished going through your whole thread, very impressive work showing excellent design work, well executed planning and advanced fab skills. I favor the desert trucks and am subscribing. Look forward to seeing yet more interesting progress on your Navaho.

Ice chest and tool box part 1

IMG_1362.jpg

I tried to use up every bit of space I had. The boxes fit kind of like a puzzle with the tail lights.
IMG_1363.jpg

I'll weld in a patch piece to take up this void.
IMG_1364.jpg

This is the passenger side tool box. I buffed out all the welds. Welded some 1/2" S.S tubing for a nice finished edge.
IMG_1372.jpg

This is the drivers side cooler. It will have 1" of insulation. Might be some tricky welds on this piece. Don't want it to leak and mildew.
IMG_1369.jpg

The bottom will also be insulated. I forgot to take a picture of the step but the floor consist of two layers of S.S with spacers welded to them to allow the foam to expand.
IMG_1370-1.jpg

These are spacers to allow the spray foam insulation to get around all the nooks.
IMG_1371.jpg

I still have a lot left to do on the cooler.
IMG_1373.jpg

Hopefully I will get these done by next weekend.
I need to buy more flapper wheels.
:confused:

First off, let me say that I can appreciate all the hard work you have into this build...but I don't understand the need for all the tubing in the rear. You are very obviously a skilled fabricator but it seems to me that you incorporated an excessive amount of tube work just because you had that much on hand. Regardless, I am excited to see this rig in action!

First off, let me say that I can appreciate all the hard work you have into this build...but I don't understand the need for all the tubing in the rear. You are very obviously a skilled fabricator but it seems to me that you incorporated an excessive amount of tube work just because you had that much on hand. Regardless, I am excited to see this rig in action!

Maybe a little. It is a truggy after all. It's hard making something that both functions well and looks good.
Like the old saying. "what's worth doing is worth over doing"

Likin' it

Strong, functional, well fabricated and weight bias to the rear...all important considerations for a pre runner that needs a bit of "heads up attitude" on the jumps. The fact that it looks agressive as heck is a plus and a tribute to good asthetic design.

Started back on the cage

I was able to focus some time today on the front of the exo cage.

These pieces of tubing are random lengths. I'm not going for the Bull look. They will be cut back. I might tie the light bar into them to make it removable.
IMG_1381.jpg

Toro Toro.
IMG_1382.jpg

Ran vertical tubing from the front of the rock sliders.The cross tube unfortunately makes the passenger side windshield wiper
out of commision
IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Nice stance.

IMG_1387.jpg

More cage work

Having a angle finding level really helps finding those ******* angles.
IMG_1389-2.jpg

IMG_1391-2.jpg

IMG_1392-1.jpg

IMG_1394-2.jpg

IMG_1395-2.jpg

Next week light bar.

Just read through your whole build!! Amazing!! I cannot wait for the finished product, this is sweet!! Keep it up! :salute:

no plans to put the front fenders on again? looks insane compared to what it looked like at my work when i used to see it

Very, very well done. The end result is gonna be impressive, keep it up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HID light bar and cage

Started on the light bar today.

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Still have to make tabs for the adjuster bar.

Back