New/old laptop problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

New/old laptop problem

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

CADDYBILL

Reaction score
City, State
Broad Channel Queens NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EDDIE BAUER/ sold
not yet any sugestions? I also have to set up some security for the wireless conection.

Forder

Reaction score
City, State
West Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, '05 Altima 3.5
AVG or AntiVir are free and work pretty good. I've used AVG before and it works great as long as you keep it updated. I've heard good things about AntiVir too, but never used it. I'm sure they'll both be effective enough as long as you keep the definitions up to date. If you really want, I can hook you up with Symantec EPP or Mcafee that I get for free in the government. I'll give you my FTP addy and you can download it off of me. Symantec's EPP (End Point Protection) is pretty easy to use and not too resource hungry.

heathmo

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
AntiVir is excellent, highest detection rates among the free software. And I've had better luck with it than the big names like Norton and McAfee as well. I would also advise a HIPS program such as ThreatFire and if you feel the need for a firewall Sunbelt Personal Firewall is free and no popups to bug you. But when used with ThreatFire, you'll have to configure the firewall to allow ThreatFire to run, just right click on the firewall icon down in the tray and go to the configuration, then intrusions, then uncheck the HIPS protection for the firewall. It's not necessary to have that checked because in 30 days it becomes just the firewall without the extras.