New old news

R3df1sh

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Explorer XLT
Hey all,
long time lurker, first time poster... you know the drill.

First generation explorer. Been an island car most of its life so low miles. The first year I had it I put many hours into getting it up to snuff. She's been real good to me since.

lost the bumper pulling someone out of the mud a few winters back. priced out a replacement @ $400 not including shipping. This one I got instead just cost me a walk on the beach.

InkedIMG_0155_LI.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome as a card carrying member. I like your resourcefulness.

Hey all,
long time lurker, first time poster... you know the drill.

First generation explorer. Been an island car most of its life so low miles. The first year I had it I put many hours into getting it up to snuff. She's been real good to me since.

lost the bumper pulling someone out of the mud a few winters back. priced out a replacement @ $400 not including shipping. This one I got instead just cost me a walk on the beach.

View attachment 332922

Fred Flintstone comes to mind :)

Pretty cool bumper! Welcome

Welcome.

The bumper is pretty cool, I'd put a mailbox on it.

Welcome to this forum! My 1988 van has a wood bumper from the lumber yard. I installed it over 20 years ago. It outlasted the original plastic bumper. Make sure that you treat it with Thompson's water seal.

Welcome to this forum! My 1988 van has a wood bumper from the lumber yard. I installed it over 20 years ago. It outlasted the original plastic bumper. Make sure that you treat it with Thompson's water seal.
Is that the van that needs a transmission?

That van needed a transmission years ago, and has been out of service for a long time. My 1995 daily driver was the one which needed a transmission. A generous member from this site sent me a transmission, and I installed it close to 2 months ago. The transmission has some issues such as it jumps in & out of gear, struggles to get the van to 40 MPH, and drops out of gear which causes it to go back to 35 MPH. I mostly do local stop & go driving, and rarely go on the highway, so it still serves the purpose. The engine has to rev high just like my old transmission, so for $60 in gas I get about 100 miles out of a full tank. I usually don't go too far, so a tank of gas lasts about a month.

I hadnt considered that, its a piece of a piece of driftwood I found on the beach. my understanding is that salt water kills the organisms that normally cause rot. But now that its been removed from the sea it may be worth taking extra steps to preserve it. Given the salty conditions here, unless I can find someone that makes frame crossmembers for these i expect the bumper will last far longer than the truck with or without preservative.

Back