• Register Today It's free!

New Owner from Kent

selkent1

Reaction score
City, State
Longfield, Kent
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0
Just put this in the new owners section and thought id paste it in the UK section.

As for problems, which lets face it, most people have when getting a new motor, i haven't found many. I'm trying to locate a luggage compartment blind, which was missing, and im also missing the lower valance from the front bumper.

As for mechanical s, the engine seems sweet and pulls like a train, but i have noticed that the large pulley, near the top of the engine makes a racket, especially when starting from cold. Once warmed up it dies down a bit, but still annoying. Would greasing this help or replacing? Cant hear anything that could be described as tappet noise, but i do get a slight rubbing type of sound that comes from the front when moving off. Once moving it goes away. You can feel the vibration from it through the steering wheel.

Am pleased as punch with it and the fuel economy has surprised me as well. Will prob LPG it a few years down the road but before i had this i had a Pajero 2.5td auto and this it at least 3 times more powerful and uses no more in the way of fuel. Just a few bits to do and all is well. Any tips from anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thought id get a pic up!

20140129_124001_zps8203f682.jpg

Welcome.
As for the pulley noise, If it is the big one just above the crank pulley then that is a worry as that is the water pump. If it is the slightly smaller one above that it is the idler pulley.
PULLEY.jpg

My idler was a little noisy so I took it off and took out the bearing and using a needle prised open the cover and regreased it. worked for a year and was good when I sold the car.
the tensioner pulley can get noisy and this also has sealed bearings in it. You can buy the idler or tensioner for not a great amount of money and it is real easy to swap them out.
As for the rubbing at the front, check the trye aren't rubbing somewhere as with those aftermarket wheels the offset may be wrong. Also are they 15"?? do they clear the calipers?
Next on the list id to check out your front brakes. The sliders can seize (esp if they have been greased with copperslip as this gets glue like with heat! always used red grease on the sliders or at a pinch lithium or moly. Also check the bolts to the carriers are done up tight as if these are undone and then not threadlocked they can work loose.

Welcome.
As for the pulley noise, If it is the big one just above the crank pulley then that is a worry as that is the water pump. If it is the slightly smaller one above that it is the idler pulley.
PULLEY.jpg

My idler was a little noisy so I took it off and took out the bearing and using a needle prised open the cover and regreased it. worked for a year and was good when I sold the car.
the tensioner pulley can get noisy and this also has sealed bearings in it. You can buy the idler or tensioner for not a great amount of money and it is real easy to swap them out.
As for the rubbing at the front, check the trye aren't rubbing somewhere as with those aftermarket wheels the offset may be wrong. Also are they 15"?? do they clear the calipers?
Next on the list id to check out your front brakes. The sliders can seize (esp if they have been greased with copperslip as this gets glue like with heat! always used red grease on the sliders or at a pinch lithium or moly. Also check the bolts to the carriers are done up tight as if these are undone and then not threadlocked they can work loose.

Cheers for the welcome and the info.

The noise i have is defo coming from the upper pulley, as i squirted a little silicone spray on it and it went away, but came back again, and seems to be worse when the engine is cold. Have looked on ebay and there seems to be a couple to choose from. Has anyone got a link for the correct part?

As for the rubbing noise i have, i have looked and cant see any evidence of the wheels rubbing on anything, and i have noticed that the noise seems to be coming more from the nearside than anywhere else, so i looks like it may be a brake issue.

On another matter, the one thing that was missing when i got the truck was the rear luggage cover/blind, and id really like to find one. If anyone has one or knows of anyone who has, kindly let us know.

Great to be on the forum. One other thing while i remember, what is the correct gearbox fluid for these trucks. Something as easy to get as Dexron 2 or something else?

For transmission fluid you need Mercon V rated stuff. I used comma Multivehicle stuff that was mercon V rated but there are others out there.

With the rubbing, try on a deserted road or in a big car park, weave from side to side gently, to see if the noise increases when you are turning one way and decreases when you turn the other. If it does then it is more likely to be hub bearings. Bearing replaced as a whole hub.

For transmission fluid you need Mercon V rated stuff. I used comma Multivehicle stuff that was mercon V rated but there are others out there.

With the rubbing, try on a deserted road or in a big car park, weave from side to side gently, to see if the noise increases when you are turning one way and decreases when you turn the other. If it does then it is more likely to be hub bearings. Bearing replaced as a whole hub.

Thanks for the info. Ive done what you suggested, and for quite a while and once moving there is no noise, either going straight or changing direction. I even tried it with just myself and 2 up with a load of weight in the back and nothing. It only happens when stopped and moving off, either forwards or backwards, once moving there is no noise. Cant seem to find anyone either on here or the internet as a whole who has had a similar symptom. On hols from next week so will set about replacing the discs and pads then, as that is something i do whenever i change a car, so will keep looking until then. Any other ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

As for my repalcement idler pulley, does this look like the right one?

Will get around to getting a set of those workshop manuals at some point, might make things a bit easier.

Just an update on my rubbing noise. It only happens when moving off AFTER changing direction, ie, Stopped going forward and then go to reverse, and vise verse, i get a rubbing noise for about a second that seems to be coming mostly from the nearside front wheel area. After the initial moving off i don't get it again until i change direction. I never get any noises while steering.

The idler looks like the right one, but the bearing on your old one is dead easy to replace and will cost about a fiver from a local bearing stockist. I did mine a couple of months ago.

The idler looks like the right one, but the bearing on your old one is dead easy to replace and will cost about a fiver from a local bearing stockist. I did mine a couple of months ago.

Do you know the dimensions for the bearings? I Take it they are all the same?

Its marked on the bearing side. 4 numbers.

Its marked on the bearing side. 4 numbers.
Cheers for the info.

How do you use those numbers in relation to sizing the replacement? Is it like a serial number?

I think the first 2 numbers are the outside diameter and the next 2 the inner. unless someone knows better.

Just an update on my rubbing noise. It only happens when moving off AFTER changing direction, ie, Stopped going forward and then go to reverse, and vise verse, i get a rubbing noise for about a second that seems to be coming mostly from the nearside front wheel area. After the initial moving off i don't get it again until i change direction. I never get any noises while steering.

Anyone have any ideas?

First, as Jan said, check the caliper frame mounting bolts. If they are loose, going from one direction to the other will make the pads rub.
My daughters car had an annoying rubbing sound, and it was just rust build up on the edge of the disc. Grind all rust off the disc where the pads edges touch.

Thanks for the info. Will look and get some pics up asap. On another matter, when i got my truck i only got one remote fob with it, and it was a bit tatty. So i got a new replacement carcass for it and now its all good, however i wish to get another fob. There seems to be loads avail on ebay but how do you go about programming an additional fob. Mines the two button kind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back