new owner of 96 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new owner of 96 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
The wife and I just purchased a 96 Eddie Bauer edition 4x4 Explorer. 133K miles on the clock. We looked at 3 explorer/mountaineers in a row. All 3 had an issue with the rear left door not opening...crazy.
Has some minor issues, power antenna needs replacement (bent) motor runs, Door latches on driver side, needs a rotation and maybe a couple of tires / alignment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice find. Welcome to the forum:chug:

It's not a 98..

Welcome!
Fixed the title for you. ;)

I have a problem with the rear left door too. It's an issue with a spring being broken that pulls the latch back up. Not too hard to fix.

Hi 3J's,
I just purchased a 1996 Explorer Limited last night at our local auction. V6 and basically seems solid but I have located at least two issues I want to repair: 1) One or both front hubs are howling at me (bad bearings?) and 2) Front wheels aren't engaging in 4 high or 4 low although I'm getting both low and high range to the rear wheels via the dash switch. I'll also need a radio and probably some other minor fixes. I'll wish you good luck with yours.

Welcome to a fantastic site!

This is especially for Tony with his experience with available parts from 1A Auto (my fav): It seems like there are at least 3 possibilities why my front wheels aren't receiving power from the transfer case (which is working): 1) One or both of the vacuum switches aren't working, 2) the engagement motor isn't working, or 3) the electric hub on either side isn't working. These are all expensive parts. How do I test and what sequence should I use to find out which of these is at fault? ( I don't have a lift but do have a a good hydraulic jack and a couple of stands). Thanks, Roy

Back