New owner of a old explorer Urgent advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New owner of a old explorer Urgent advice needed

nkhan

Reaction score
City, State
Dhaka
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer limited
Hi everyone, I got myself a 2000 explorer limited 4.0 sohc last week. I need advice on a few issues, it will be highly appreciated if you all could help me here, as ford explorer is not common here in my country,its getting very tricky for me to sort things out, but I love these machines and I want it to remain healthy.

1. it has 170,000 km on it so i want to change the auto transmission fluid,and filter. I have ordered the filter from Dubai, but I am not sure what oil to use, as MERCON 5 is not available here in my country. So what could be a alternate ATF oil for MERCON 5.

2. My rear diff is leaking for the pinion seal, so if I change the seal, what oil should I replace for the rear differential. I know recommended is 75w140, but since it is not available, can I use Use 85w140? or any other recommendation?

3.What oil should I use for the front differential.

4. I am changing my power steering pump. So what lube should i use for it.

5. I have this small pressure sensor on my brake master cylinder, the one with the orange wire socket, as I connect the wires, i see smoke coming out of it, what do I do with it? can i change the pressure sensor ? or do i have to change the complete master cylinder? what is the function of it?

I am new with fords, so need all of yours valued advices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#5 - there was a recall about this. there is a real risk of fire, get the recall done and leave that plug disconnected until you do.

#4 - Mercon 5 (Mercon V) is also recommended for the power steering fluid.

#2 - if you can't find 75w140, 85w140 should be okay.

#3 - same oil as rear diff.

#1 - there is no recommended alternative for Mercon V.

I am new with fords, so need all of yours valued advices.
All those are also written in the Owner Manual. If you don't have one, you can get one free:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owner-manuals/

#2 - if you can't find 75w140, 85w140 should be okay.
If his rear has the tag with Synth 75W140, that's a Limited Slip one. If he uses something else than the Castrol or Mobil 1 75W140LS he will have to add the Friction Modifier.
#3 - same oil as rear diff.
No, no, no...

Mobil1 synthetic ATF meets specs if you can get that.

1. A good fluid meeting Merc/Dex would probably be OK, although its not as good of a fluid as Mercon V. I think you'd be fine using Mobil 1 ATF, or another high-grade Merc/Dex.

2. 85w-140 will work in the rear diff, but as previously said, make sure it already has the limited slip modifier or you need to add some.

3. Front differential takes 75w-90 fluid. No limited slip additive needed.

4. Power steering pump uses either power steering fluid, or Mercon, or Mercon V. As I understand it, power steering fluid is basically ATF without as many additives or the red dye. Never had a problem using either Mercon or Mercon V.

5. You can replace just the switch in the brake cylinder. I think it only affects the cruise control, so definitely unplug it until you do, there is a real risk of fire (it was a recall).

Back