• Register Today It's free!

New owner

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hello guys. I just recently purchased a 2001 Explorer XLT V8 AWD with 122k miles. This forum seems very informative. Just curious of what things I should be looking at servicing immediately. I know all about the sway bar links and they're new. Is there any other items that are worthy of replacing before they are problematic? With the V8, the fuel economy is not so good. I just ran a couple tanks threw it already and in town looks like it gets 12MPG. Is that normal or low? I drive it pretty easy. What can I do to improve the MPG? I'm already thinking of an electric fan upgrade. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have MAC intake and exhaust with a set of E3 plugs...I get about 17MPG in town now. The easier the air can get in and out of your motor the more efficient it is. The stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive as well, my next mod is a set of TM headers and an intake spacer. It is alot of money to put in for a few extra MPG but I want the performance as well. Your driving habits have a big effect on your mileage as well.

Start off with a tune-up..plugs, wires, air/fuel filter and an oil change. this should get you headed in the right direction.

....and welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the intake and exhaust. I've seen the problems with the factory headers. Do they break on the later models like I have, too? Did you mean a phenolic spacer between the upper and lower intakes?

Yes, a phenolic spacer. I have read a few forums on here where the factory manifolds have cracked.

Here is a link to the headers so you can read up on them. I believe since you're a member of this site you get a pretty good discount as well. They will aso make the headers custom for the intake spacer so you dont have to mod your EGR tube.

http://torquemonsterheaders.com/home.html

Yes, a phenolic spacer. I have read a few forums on here where the factory manifolds have cracked.

Here is a link to the headers so you can read up on them. I believe since you're a member of this site you get a pretty good discount as well. They will aso make the headers custom for the intake spacer so you dont have to mod your EGR tube.

http://torquemonsterheaders.com/home.html
Any idea where to get the spacer? Those headers are nice. Do they hook up to the factory downpipes at the collector? Do you know if the cabin noise is higher due to the headers?

The 1" spacer that everyone is using is made by Trick Flow for the Cobra intake "there is a hole in the middle of the intakes that the X needs" somebody should come along with a PN. I dont know about the sound with the headers as they are the next mod on my list. I can tell you that the MAC exhaust has a some amount of drone at crusing speeds...but I like it.

welcome u got pics of it

Thanks man. I'll be getting one. I checked out the intakes and exhaust systems on MAC's website. Looks like good stuff and priced right although I can make that intake for much cheaper. I already have numerous couplers and some aluminum tubing that will work. Just need a filter. $169 is a good price, though! The headers will have to be one of the last things to do since I don't have a job right now. What do you guys think of the electric fan upgrades? Worth the trouble for the MPG's and power?

E-Fan is another mod I want to do to mine (one thing at a time) that should help both MPG and HP. If you're gonna make your own intake try to get an Amsoil filter...I'm pretty sure they make a cone filter that doesn't need to be oiled.....Just clean, let dry and put it back on.

E-Fan is another mod I want to do to mine (one thing at a time) that should help both MPG and HP. If you're gonna make your own intake try to get an Amsoil filter...I'm pretty sure they make a cone filter that doesn't need to be oiled.....Just clean, let dry and put it back on.

Yeah, I've seen too many MAF's taken out by people simply oiling and overoiling filters. I just run my others dry.

I have the same Sploder with 108k on her now. all that i have done is run better oil and put a drop in K&N filter. I have had the filter in for about 5 fill-ups now and have been getting close to the 17mpg(city) mark. as to my driving habits, we can just say that i don't like to be behind traffic and i love cruise control.

and welcome! get some pic up!

Back