New Owner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Owner

Your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve may need a clean. On first start when cold idle should be around 1100 then drop when warmed up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try warming the engine up first. Then disconnect the IAC. If the engine stalls, turn the idle adjusting screw so you have about 600rpm. Then connect the IAC and the revs should rise to about 750rpm.
Kev.

Try warming the engine up first. Then disconnect the IAC. If the engine stalls, turn the idle adjusting screw so you have about 600rpm. Then connect the IAC and the revs should rise to about 750rpm.
Kev.

Many thanks Howard and Kev, gonna do that first thing in the morning........ Lets hope the Engine Management light stays off......... :)

Unless you know the fuel filter has been done recently it would be wise to do this also

there's an 8mm bolt next to the throttle butterfly /cable you can adjust the idle up a little there

good luck and regards (:

Kev.

Hi all,

I removed and cleaned the IAC (wasn't too dirty and replaced, no difference in idle speed (5-600 rpm). Can you tell me where I can find the idle adjusting screw please? is it the bolt under the two cables that attach to the upper manifold (throttle at front right)?

Is it the same as Rich suggested?

there's an 8mm bolt next to the throttle butterfly /cable you can adjust the idle up a little there

If I disconnect th IAC connector with the engine running it stalls so it definitely needs adjusting slightly.

Like I say I will be doing a service asap, will change the fuel filter also just to make sure, the jeep was family owned for over 10 years with a FSH (82,000 miles) so am hoping that the service will sort it all out.

Thanks again........

FYI when warm mine idles at 600 rock solid.
As you say a service may sort it out. The spark plugs may have never been changed so if you weren't planning on doing them it may be worth pulling a couple of them to have a nosey. When i first pulled mine the gap on them was massiiiiive, changed em and started better and ran smoother.

Thanks kev, can you advise as to where the adjustment screw is please?

Many thanks.....

Here you go Joseph, some light bed time reading
Idle adjustment by 2000StreetRod

If you do an advanced search for threads started by 2000StreetRod you will find a whole host of useful information threads including one for lean fault diagnosis!!

Nice photo Jan. My 97 has a screwdriver slot in the idle adjust screw though. Were they changed to a none adjuster on later models?
Kev.

Nice photo Jan. My 97 has a screwdriver slot in the idle adjust screw though. Were they changed to a none adjuster on later models?
Kev.

As far as i was aware (tho not looked into it) the idle stop screw is merely to adjust the stop on the butterfly. The idle is really controlled by the ecu using the TPS and various other engine sensors.
Basically i would only adjust the screw to make sure the butterfly is in the right position. The tps can be checked for output (ihave read a couple of threads relating to adjustment of the tps but can't find them at the mo) but i don't remember the values and my manual on disc is fooked but i'm sure it is on the forum somewhere.
I do however remember Dale (streetrod) telling me that idle adjustment should only be done after everything else is spot on.

Basically Joe do the service b4 adjusting anything and also make sure the butterfly closes and doesn't stick

Good advice to check everything else first. But with the IAC dissconnected, it should idle at about 500-600rpm. If you clean the butterfly plate, be aware that the throttle bore has a special non stick coating that should not be removed.

Back