• Register Today It's free!

new pads on worn rotors

fordkid417

Reaction score
City, State
cape coral fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
hey everyone, my rotors are shot, and dont have enough to buy new pads and rotors. can i just run new pads for awhile when i have the money to get new rotors and better pads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please help me find the site to search for junkyard parts in [yourcityhere] area lol. i used to know it but forgot it

You can but not recommended because you will cause damage to the new pads such as wearing grooves in them or wearing one side of the pad more than the other so basically puts ya back in the same boat and you will need new pads alot sooner

Take the advice from me, save up for rotors, or buy a CHEAP ass set of pads til you can.

In my 92, before I knew much about brakes, I did it all myself without reading on here or anything, so I got a good set of like Duralast gold pads, like 60$ and lifetime warranty, but not rotors, and mine are worn uneven, so it pulses when I stop, man it ate right through those pads, not 5 months later I needed new ones again.

Take the advice from me, save up for rotors, or buy a CHEAP ass set of pads til you can.

In my 92, before I knew much about brakes, I did it all myself without reading on here or anything, so I got a good set of like Duralast gold pads, like 60$ and lifetime warranty, but not rotors, and mine are worn uneven, so it pulses when I stop, man it ate right through those pads, not 5 months later I needed new ones again.

the pads dont make the pedal pulse its the rotor being warped.

I know....I didnt say it was the pads, I said mine were worn uneven (couldnt think of the name at the time [warped]) and I was referring to the rotors.

I have a pair of 2wd rotors in like new shape that I would give away. Even though I live in Florida. The weight of the rotors cost as much as new ones in shipping cost. It's like $40 lbs. I can't throw them away.

Rotors are cheap, I paid like 16 bucks each for a set.
Makes no sense not to change them when you put pads on.
I'm sure you can come up with $32 bucks somewhere.

Are they still in spec? Maybe someone can machine them for you cheap or free? A community college with an auto program?

If the rotors are bad you will probably mess up the new brake pads.

Like others said you can get a decent pair of rotors for less than a fillup, maybe its worth doing a bit less driving and saving up.

Never cut any corners with brake parts. In a panic stop situation is when all the little things that you did pay off.

Back