• Register Today It's free!

New Paint job, not looking good

kmaximus_77

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport
A while back I posted about my new X and the bad paint job I had straight out the box, with the hood.

Well, I took it in last week to have them strip the paint and redo the hood and I got it back on friday.

I was very dissatisfied with the paint job and I let that be known to as many managers as I could while I was there. The Manager of the paint and body shop told me that I need to bring it back in 2 weeks for them to buff out all the areas of problems. Stating that it takes a bit of time for the chemicals to settle in and the paint compounds to form correctly. Does this sound straight to anyone, or is it just BS??

The hood now has: small bubble and lifted paint spots, a orange peel texture to the overall job of the paint, not like the rest of the car, meaning smooth and the such. And the color is darker than the rest of the car.

Will all this come out in the "buffing" or should I go ahead and complain to corporate about this???

I have had it for 5 months now, if that means anything

thanks for looking!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never taken anything back later to be fixed.

Sounds like you got an el crappo special paint job, sorry.

If you can I'd take your receipt, and go to another Ford dealer and explain it to them

Well, first of all, there is nothing like factory paint. I had to have my hood repainted and it is the right color and I am VERY happy with it but its just not the same. I assume that this is covered under your warranty since its only 5 months old and if its not it should be. If I were you I would want it totally redone. Either stripped right down to nothing or start with a brand new hood. Matching paint is easy. All they have to do is mix up that code and then tint it to the exact color and test it in an unseen spot. Yours is only 5 months old so the paint has not faded at all yet. That buff thing is a load of BS. Mine was done in 2 days. One day to have them prep and put that white stuff all over it and it was painted the next day. I would raise hell about your problem.

I agree, you are being fed a bunch of BULL!! I have had cars painted in the past, (including dealerships), and I have NEVER heard of such crap in all of my life.

Was this a Ford dealer that painted this? If so, get the owner of the dealership, show him the paint job, and then together you and him confront the clown who fed you that story line, and then see what happens.

Originally posted by VOATMJ1
Was this a Ford dealer that painted this? If so, get the owner of the dealership, show him the paint job, and then together you and him confront the clown who fed you that story line, and then see what happens.
Good idea. I did that when a dealer didnt replace my rotors right on my 93 explorer. Caused all sorts of problems with my 4WD. I felt bad because he got fired but he picked the wrong guy to bull s#!t with.

Yeah , the buffing line is pretty much BS. I say pretty much because , YES it is true it does take time for the paint to fully cure. As a side note you want to wait about 30 days before you wax a new paint job. Any way , even though paint does not fully cure for a few weeks , there is no reason they are not able to buff out flaws.
The bad news , if you have Fish Eyes , they can not be fixed.
Go to an independant auto-body paint shop have them look at it.

Originally posted by MONMIX
you want to wait about 30 days before you wax a new paint job.

Unless you use Zaino.....

Aldive... only 29 posts till you've got 6000 under your belt. ;)

Well, to start off the "fish eyes" was the main problem I was having. I noticed it after the first week I had it. The same manager told me I needed wax it and that should take care of the problem. I didn't agree with his "recomindation". I have had car paint jobs in the past and have never had to deal with this kind of crap before.

This is the dealership doing the job and maybe I do need to take it soemplace else.

I will go to another Ford Dealer tomorrow, I have 3 very close to me and get their opinion.

What they did to "fix" my problem was:

The took the hood off, stipped it, chemically removed all paint, and repainted it.

I agree totally, I think I am getting hosed badly, and it is something I will not stand for!!!

Here is a pic of my X. I will try and take some tomorrow of the hood, but since it's black the camera doesn't take good detail shots.

Pic of my X

I hope thats a glare on the hood and not the orange peel.

yeah, just the glare, let me see if I have any of the hood

Here are a few more, still has glare sorry:)

Front view

side view

OH!!! If any of you are ever in Columbia, SC Don't go to Pulliam Ford to get a car. They be suck'n something big, me thinks.:)

Here's a tip. Go to dealer#2. Tell him something happened to the hood for it to need repainting, ie big scratch, vanadlism, ect. Tell him someone other that Ford did the repaint. Then He'll go off on a line of BS about the paint shop not doing the reapaint correctly, blah, blah, should have brought it to a dealer, blah.
Maybe they'll tell you what really caused it if they quit trying to cover their *****. Then you tell him it was a fellow dealer and I bet it'll change his tune. :cool:

Yeah, I like that! Play their game;)

I just got back from a local body shop and they said the job looks like crap, but I should wait the 2 weeks to see the final product. They said the trash and the orange peel effect should come out, maybe not all the trash. They said I would have a better leg to stand on if there is still the trash after the final step.

So, I tomorrow I am going to the other dealer close by and see what they say. I might wait the 2 weeks, but I have all ready been inconvienced by them. They didn't even offer me a rental car!!

Anyways, I will keep ya'll informed

Originally posted by aldive

Unless you use Zaino.....
Untrue. In the curing process , the paint releases chemicles and gasses. You don't want to trap the process.

Man , you Ex looks sweet. The good news is I could not see the fish eyes.
Well , the first shop did it right. Fish eyes the paint HAS to be striped. Orange peel , and dirt in the paint CAN be removed and it could look like a champ.
Lemmie know how thing progress.

Originally posted by MONMIX

Untrue. In the curing process , the paint releases chemicles and gasses. You don't want to trap the process.

Well.... here is what Sal Zaino told me a while back:

>>There's alot of misinformation about waiting three months for the paint to
cure.

I am a custom painter by trade. I am very familar with Dupont, PPG and
all the other paint manufacturers.

The most I personally would wait on fresh "aftermarket body shop" paint
before
polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish is 1 week. That's more than sufficient
curing time.

Zaino contains no wax, silicones or abrasives.....

The new paints are catalyzed. A chemical reaction cures the paint. The
older lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release. This
is not the case anymore. Believe me if that paint need 3 months to dry
than it will never dry.... Just the facts. <<

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sikkins ( our paint manufacture ) manuel at my shop makes no extention what so ever wax Zaino what ever. If you are gonna spend a few ( several ) weeks worth of pay checks on a paint job you can never be too careful.
Sikkins does not manufacture wax. They gain nothing by telling you not to wax or other wise treat your paint.
Zaino has bottles to sell.
Oh and drying and curing are two totally diffrenet things.

Two different thought proceses. I will lean toward the paint manufacture over the treatment

Back