New Pioneer Navi (AVIC-Z110BT) Double DIN installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Pioneer Navi (AVIC-Z110BT) Double DIN installation

KC90

Reaction score
City, State
Kootenay's
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
Got my Navi Friday, just put it in today. Works awesome and makes my crappy bezel look better ( the rubber crap is peeling and coming off.)

My main point I am going to throw at people who have never installed double DINs before, READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN YOUR KIT! A bit different from the regular single DINs installs.

1) Unscrew the srews holding bezel in place, pop it out

2) Unplug the electricals from bezel ( the cigarette lighter in my 99 XLT was a screw plug, you unscrew it, not pull)

Now, the bezel NEEDS modification in order to fit the deck and mounting kit... Keep in mind before you massacre it if you are leasing or selling your Ex.

3) I cut the top and bottom lip of the bezel where the deck goes in, you DO NOT trim down the sides ( razor and torch dont cut it, unless you want to be out there till next Christmas. I used one of those little drills that have a cutting disc. Dremel?)

4) Put the 2 mounting brackets on side lips (My Scoche kit came with 2 brackets and face trim)

5) Slide the deck in from behind the bezel, Then screw the deck onto the mounts
fekxdz.jpg

6) Hook up all decks wiring ( I used crimp butt connectors)
a3yr0w.jpg

7) Put everything back into place in the dash (Dont forget the bezel's electricals)
5m0b46.jpg

If anyone has any questions about installing or the deck itself or anything of the matter, feel free to ask!

What I did with the mic and antenna:

On the column.
nnw2hc.jpg

Fed the wire through the cracks of the column and panel below it to the deckspace, way to lazy to dissemble my dash just to put this in. Look closely and you can see I ziptied the excess wire to the metal bracket on the left side of the deckspace, perfect little cubby hole.
ibdwl1.jpg

GPS Antenna
2rrpa3l.jpg

Ran GPS Antenna wire down then through behind the glovebox into the deckspace
20ic284.jpg

I ran my Ipod cable behinfd the climate control into the front center console, down to the rear one. My Ipod sits inside the rear center console.
2qvgwo0.jpg

As for the Parking Hack.. I'd love to give it away but yea.. don't wanna be responsible for car accidents. Just look on Youtube.

KC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics? Interested in seeing where you routed bluetooth microphone and GPS antenna.

Another question KC, how do u go about bypassing ebrake cable so GPS works while driving?

I put one of these in my my 02 limited back in feb. and you have to ...........:D also for us guys have the AVIC-Z110bt there is a update coming that will be to update it to the Z120bt that will be coming out.

3) I cut the top and bottom lip of the bezel where the deck goes in, you DO NOT trim down the sides ( razor and torch dont cut it, unless you want to be out there till next Christmas. I used one of those little drills that have a cutting disc. Dremel?)

4) Put the 2 mounting brackets on side lips (My Scoche kit came with 2 brackets and face trim)

5) Slide the deck in from behind the bezel, Then screw the deck onto the mounts (Ill get pics so its easier to understand)

KC

Any shots of this step of the install yet? I am installing a Kenwood DNX5120 this week into my 97 Explorer. Did you use the cage/sleeve for the deck too?

Just a note, folks. I removed the how-to to bypass vehicle in motion restrictions. The reason for this is that if someone does it, and they learned how here, and later gets into an accident, etc., I don't want them blaming either EF or a poster on it. It's nothing personal. The information is on the internet, and Google is a hell of a search engine.

10/4 Flounder understandable.

I added pics. Story of my life, I'm stupidly late. The pics are blurry, due to the only camera I got is my KEYBO2. Also I never got any emails stating I got replies either.

My Ex has been down for over a month now( Timing chains...) finally doing work to it and cleaning up my install. Hopefully ordering a timing kit soon because I miss my Type Xs :(

Maybe I should just make vids of this stuff.. KEYBO makes OK vids, but knowing me it will take 56,000 years to make one..

Back