Moderator Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
Finally got around to changing the plugs and leads. What a pain in the a*** job. It took me 2.5 hours just to do the one plug (the one up by the air con compressor) and about 20 mins to do the rest. My hands are scarred and knuckles bruised. Thank goodness I won't have to do it again for another 60k. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, they didn't make that easy....I found it was easier to go from underneath the vehicle and slide up along the frame rail to get to the last one on the passenger's side... I'm not looking forward to changing the plugs in my F-150 either...I took a look at it the other day and just shut the hood....:confused:

Ya, I just changed mine last night too, took me 2.5 hours as well. It's a good time.

do you only need to change them every 60k? or is 10k better?

Si

Double platinum plugs should last for at least 60k :D . Actually the ones that I took out are not that bad, nothing like what I was expecting. I figured that after 8.5 years a new set of leads would not go amiss either.

I probably need to do mine, I know that new plugs were done last yr when the engine was rebuilt, I've gotta change the oil again soon, I need to get a filter wrench, so on pay day I'll get some odds n ends and give it some TLC...

Si

About time you did them.. They're only what a year old since you got them :D

I don't know how often they should be changed..

Si

The factory plugs are supposed to be good for up to 100K miles not sure what that is in kilometeres. I know alot of us changed out our plugs before the 100K mile mark..

We still use miles over here lol, I was just wondering cos on my mondeo the plugs usually get changed with every service (10k)

Si

We still use miles over here lol, I was just wondering cos on my mondeo the plugs usually get changed with every service (10k)

Si

I'd bet the Mondeo uses standard plugs, not platinums. The extended life comes from the type of plug used. Most new vehicles now come with a 100,000 mile change interval on plugs.

I'd bet the Mondeo uses standard plugs, not platinums. The extended life comes from the type of plug used. Most new vehicles now come with a 100,000 mile change interval on plugs.

I can't guarantee that matey boy put platinums in, so I'd best get them changed

Si

I have been around since long before a "100,000" mile plug. I've seen a bunch of used plugs. None of them hold a proper gap for that long, none of them.

I change plugs when I buy a different vehicle, don't trust previous owners, or the mechanics. I use very good plugs, not cheap, and the ridiculous high dollar plugs.

Bottom line, the different plug materials are mostly for the ability to raise the prices, most do last longer, and 50,000 miles is well more than enough to achieve from any spark plug. The reality is that a spark plug simply needs to survive the environment, and the best power material for a plug is aluminum, not platinum or iridium, or copper, or whatever. Those materials trade power for longevity.

I've used aluminum electrode plugs that lasted 40,000 miles with little wear, but I have not seen any appreciable difference in performance from any plug. Don't quote experiences with changing any old plugs for any new plugs. All old plugs are outperformed by any new plugs. I prefer a reasonable priced quality plug, Motorcraft, single platinum, low cost, and change them every couple of years. My 99 Explorer has the newest Ford called plug that cost $3.35 each from my dealer. That's the most that I've ever spent for plugs, I see no magic in these either.

Spark plugs and wires are not mysterious components, do not let salesman talk you out of extra money not needed. Avoid cheap parts, and cheap wires, but they all should be replaced on a certain schedule. Good luck,

Spark plugs

My 1997 ohv service book lists plug change at 100,000 miles, I'm now at 70,000.
After reading your post I think I will change them now before the summer run to France with my caravan.
I do have a slight misfire at cold start that lasts for about 10 seconds, perhaps it will cure this.
On a different note have you any experience of faulty speed sensors for the transmission, the ones that tell the GEM when to select the front axle to drive?
I have read many post about these sensors and I did clean them yesterday but the lights still did their 6 flashes after a few miles.
My Explorer is a manual by the way.
Alan

So technically speaking the factory plugs can do 100,00 before being changed? Does the US service book suggest this. I know when i had a look at the UK service book it suggested changing the plugs and i think leads at 60,000.

What does a set of motorcraft double-platinum plugs and leads cost here in the uk? Can you get these cheaper through your contact Howard?

I cheated, got my garage to do an annual service, they changed the plugs Fitted Motorcraft platinum somethings.
Also changed Engine Oil to Mobil Synthetic and both axles. Couldn't change the gearbox oil, it needs a vac pump to drain the box or take everything to pieces to get the sump off. 84k on the clock. Alan (garage manager) was really impressed with the Mobil Oil. Hasn't sent the bill yet though. Ouch!!

BTW, the longer the plugs are left in, the harder they are to break loose. Always use some anti-seize when installing plugs.

I cheated, got my garage to do an annual service, they changed the plugs Fitted Motorcraft platinum somethings.
Also changed Engine Oil to Mobil Synthetic and both axles. Couldn't change the gearbox oil, it needs a vac pump to drain the box or take everything to pieces to get the sump off. 84k on the clock. Alan (garage manager) was really impressed with the Mobil Oil. Hasn't sent the bill yet though. Ouch!!

do we know of any good garages that can do the service on axles and gearbox??

Cheers

Si

Hi Si
Try these guys http://www.vrwmotandautocenters.co.uk/contactus.html, they are in Higham Ferrers so pretty close to you... Ask for Clive and then tell them that I recommended you, they will look after you mate and they are good too. Tell them that once they have practiced on yours they can do mine as well :D :D
Let us know how you get on mate

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll have to wait till I've been to spain, but I'll deffo give them a bell...

I love the way I'm a guinea pig

Si

Back