New Policy for "Serious Explorations" runs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Policy for "Serious Explorations" runs

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
After a disappointing turnout at the Truck Haven run (25 showed out of 43 sign ups). I decided to implement a new policy for all runs which are set up as "Serious Explorations" runs. Including the upcoming Arizona run and the Moab run.

Here it is... There will be a $20 registration fee for the run which will be refundable in full when you show up. If you don't show up you forfeit the fee and it will go to the site and or the organizer of the event. If you must cancel you have 30 days to do so before the event. You can get your money back up until then.

If you show up to the event without registering don't expect a place at the table when we go out for a group dinner or have any other "special" events such as the pot luck.

We have the registration forms there for a reason. We need to know how many vehicles of what caliber will be there so we know what trails we can run, how many seperate runs per day and how many leaders are needed.

If this doesn't work out I'm perfectly willing to drop the whole organized event thing.

Sorry to be so harsh, but last year we had about 50 sign up and 25 arrived. We attributed it to the rain which was forcast last year, but this year that wasn't an excuse. The weather was as good as it gets for desert wheelin'.

Next topic...

Due to a discussion in the moderator forum it was decided in order to protect from liability all of those who help organize the runs we need to prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from attending the runs unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

The reason for this is twofold. 1. To keep the organizers from being held liable for damage to vehicles and personal injury. 2. If injurys are sustained to a minor hospitals cannot administer services without parental consent unless the injuries are life threatening. That means you could be sitting in a Moab hospital with broken leg until they could get consent from your parents to set it!

The good samaritan laws were mentioned, but that would only apply to first responders and not to medical personel at a hospital.

Sorry for the hassle, but it goes along with the crazy times we're living in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick, Instead of returning the monies to the show-ups, It may benefit everyone if your were offering some type of package.

Like:

Your deposite will guanantee your place in line,
one placard,
one window decal,
A tee-shirt
a one raffle ticket
etc, etc,

I personally would rather get the goodies than get my deposite back. And, I know it costs' you personally to put these events together.

Originally posted by Gary Steeber
Rick, Instead of returning the monies to the show-ups, It may benefit everyone if your were offering some type of package.

Like:

Your deposite will guanantee your place in line,
one placard,
one window decal,
A tee-shirt
a one raffle ticket
etc, etc,

I personally would rather get the goodies than get my deposite back. And, I know it costs' you personally to put these events together.

that sounds like a good idea, but all that stuff may end up costing more than $20 (probably around $40) and would you still get the stuff if you paid and didnt attend? or would it then get donated to the site or its agents?

also, i think ricks idea of a refundable deposit is better... it would dictate less flakes..why pay for something and then not go? if you go you are out nothing other than a great time..if you say you are going and flake..rick gets a tank of gas :)

Rick, I agree with what you have to say. I think a deposit is cool. $20.00 is fair if it's refunable. Make it $15.00 if it is not refundable if you show up. That way the cost is cheap, but it can contribute to stuff like organization costs and raffel items (which I would like to help out on next year, I have a few connections with companies I'd like to use).

Either way I'm game. It's all worth it because I liked the organization and the group. Keep up the good work, and let me know if I can help in any way.:cool:

Great idea Rick. This should help out so now people will end up going and there will be more people , so more fun! Anyway, you know my prize I got at T-Haven, the car cookies..Well anyway I thought I was going to get the Fords since the box was Ford. Ya, they were all chevy's..:shoot: See you in March!

Rick, that's a GREAT idea. I've tried to set up other types of events and I know what you go thru. I would attend your events but they are just too far!

Goodluck,
-Willie

Yet another change that will be effective for the for both the Arizona run and the Moab runs...

Due to a discussion in the moderator forum it was decided in order to protect from liability all of those who help organize the runs we need to prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from attending the runs unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

The reason for this is twofold. 1. To keep the organizers from being held liable for damage to vehicles and personal injury. 2. If injurys are sustained to a minor hospitals cannot administer services without parental consent unless the injuries are life threatening. That means you could be sitting in a Moab hospital with broken leg until they could get consent from your parents to set it!

The good samaritan laws were mentioned, but that would only apply to first responders and not to medical personel at a hospital.

Sorry for the hassle, but it goes along with the crazy times we're living in.

No Show

Hey Guys,
I was one of the no shows. Unfortunately it was the job or the run and their would be no future runs without the job so...
I agree with the deposit completely. If my life gets screwed up at the last minute I don't mind contributing to the cause.
Glad to hear everyone had fun. I was reminded over and over by my employees at work that it was too bad that I had to work... Ouch!
Too add insult to injury, my wife's car had a metal tarp from some truck go through the windshield and the convertible top, on the freeway last weekend also! No injuries, but we just finished fixing the Explorer's windshield from the last run...
Rick:mad: :mad:

TOO COLD IN JANUARY!

I also was signed to run but didn't make it, sorry. I really wanted to go, but my wife and I just got over the flu, and felt 30 degree temp wouldn't help.

I want to mildly suggest a slightly warmer time of year to run and camp there. It is one of my fav places, and running with the gang there really is great.

L8R! :confused:

the weather at thaven was great... it was 70 during the day and 30s at night... if it were "warmer" like you want it would have to be summer where thaven is 100+ in the day and 70s at night :confused:

Winter months is the only time to go to T-haven. Unfortunatly it's the nature of the desert to have beautiful day time highs and cold evenings.

I think the word that needs to be mention here and that seems to be lacking on a lot of these plan trip's that people sign up for is the old fashion word call
"COMMON COURTSEY".

I was always taught that when you are either invited, or agree to attend a function and for some reason you are not able to meet that obligation, then you let that person who invite you or the person who is planning the function know otherwise before hand. I know it is pretty easy to let something slide when you are not obligated money wise, but it still does not excuse the fact that it only takes a few seconds to excuse yourself, and that way the organizers can plan better.
I guess that is why all of the other off-road business ex.
Ecological 4 Wheeling Adventures that I have done run's with in the pass have always charge a fee for their services. It guarentee's that you will be there and they can plan accordingly.

By the way this is not directed to any one person per say, but to the general board.:D

Well, you all know I would have been there and I didn't know until friday afternoon when I got home and my wife was there. She was supposed to be down in San DIego waiting for me at the airport. A breakdown on the way there and me without any way to know out to sea with the Navy. Oh well, I would have gladly lost my $20 for that.

Here's a picture of my reason, er, flexplate I mean :eek:

Attachments

• mvc-731s.jpg
    mvc-731s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 723

I used to bust flexplates like that in my race car. I finally went to a B&M billet aluminum flexplate. That one never broke. I don't know if there is such a beast for your application though.

My cookies were Chevies too. :(

I too can hang my head in shame since i also flaked on last yrs run. I assumed my truck which I was doing a straight axle conversion on was goin to be ready in time. Thats what i get for ordering an axle and conversion kit around Xmas time which by the way was being shipped from the east coast to Ca. by frieght.
I guess i was dreamin'
No excuses this time, i'm all signed up and ready to go!
See you all there.

Pics:http://photos.yahoo.com/splitimageone
click on big bear pics for most recent photos

I paid my $20 for Moab this year, dut to last minute 2" lift installations (Skyjacker radius arms wont work with 3" of lift, 5" minimum, or they hit the frame so I had to install spacers and rear blocks) I was a day and a half late, does this mean I get $2.50 back??

hahahaha just kidding! Besides I won a big ol sticker in the raffle and got one of those sweet "SERIOUS EXPLORATIONS. Moab 2002" glued to my dash now, so the $20 is well worth it for 1-1/2 days of wheeling.

There are always things that come up last minute, sometimes it is hard to get ahold of people in the middle of the desert to let them know you are not coming. Pay the $20, if you dont sow up, they leave for the trails without you, no biggie.

Hey Rick,
Unless I missed the thread somewhere here are you taking deposits yet and where do we send?...or are you still working out the details. I know its still very early, I was just curious,
Dave

When is everyone coming for a desert run in Iowa:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iowa? Well, that's a lot more feasible for Hoosiers like me.

Back