New problem - No reaction to unlock button on key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New problem - No reaction to unlock button on key

MizzouMan_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT! :D
So I've had an issue twice now with my key where the vehicle wouldn't respond to the unlock button on my key.

The first time this happened I needed to open the lift gate. Pressed the button and heard the driver door unlock, but never heard any others unlock. I tried again and nothing happened. I don't recall if I tried to lock the doors. I gave up and walked around to the driver door to unlock the others.

When I got home and shut the car off, the remote appeared to be working correctly again.

The second time this happened was yesterday. We were on our way home from a weekend road trip and had stopped for a rest. When we went back to the car, none of the doors would unlock from the remote. I had to use the door key pad to unlock the driver door. I tried the remote again and it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't lock the door, either. Once we got home, parked and shut down the car, the remote appeared to work again. It also worked fine this morning when I parked at work and left.

I've had my EX for less than a year. I wouldn't expect the battery in the key is dying already, although I'd rather it be a dead battery in the key than another internal BCM failure like the one that left me stranded at the sledding hill last winter because it wouldn't read the door keypad.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

-Try your 2nd key, what are the results?
-if 2nd key ok, try a new battery in the 1st key.

-did you make any customizations to the auto lock/unlock?

Changing the battery would be the first thing I would do.

If it always happened when you were parked in the same place, I'd look around for radio antennas. While I know they are on separate frequencies, my old Explorer would regularly refuse to lock/unlock at distances greater than a couple feet when parked in the same spot in a local store parking lot.

-Try your 2nd key, what are the results?
-if 2nd key ok, try a new battery in the 1st key.

-did you make any customizations to the auto lock/unlock?

I haven't changed the lock/unlock settings.

Changing the battery would be the first thing I would do.

If it always happened when you were parked in the same place, I'd look around for radio antennas. While I know they are on separate frequencies, my old Explorer would regularly refuse to lock/unlock at distances greater than a couple feet when parked in the same spot in a local store parking lot.

In both cases I was standing right next to it.

In the first case it happened at the football field parking lot, which I've been to tons of times without issues.

In both cases I was standing right next to it.

In the first case it happened at the football field parking lot, which I've been to tons of times without issues.
As already asked, have you tried the second key? If it works and continues to work over a few days, I would replace the battery in the first one. If that doesn't solve it then blame it on electrical gremlins. A couple of weeks ago I jumped in and went to start the Ex but noticed the brake pedal felt different. Looked up and the msg 'No Key Detected' was on the screen. It was in my pocket where it usually is. Being in a hurry, I went and retrieved my second fob and no problems. When I got back home I tried the initial fob and it worked fine and still does.

Peter

So I've had an issue twice now with my key where the vehicle wouldn't respond to the unlock button on my key.

The first time this happened I needed to open the lift gate. Pressed the button and heard the driver door unlock, but never heard any others unlock. I tried again and nothing happened. I don't recall if I tried to lock the doors. I gave up and walked around to the driver door to unlock the others.

When I got home and shut the car off, the remote appeared to be working correctly again.

The second time this happened was yesterday. We were on our way home from a weekend road trip and had stopped for a rest. When we went back to the car, none of the doors would unlock from the remote. I had to use the door key pad to unlock the driver door. I tried the remote again and it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't lock the door, either. Once we got home, parked and shut down the car, the remote appeared to work again. It also worked fine this morning when I parked at work and left.

I've had my EX for less than a year. I wouldn't expect the battery in the key is dying already, although I'd rather it be a dead battery in the key than another internal BCM failure like the one that left me stranded at the sledding hill last winter because it wouldn't read the door keypad.....

MizzouMan_2000,

Let me know if replacing the battery in the key doesn't work and you decide to take it to the dealer. Just PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll let your regional customer service manager know what's up.

Ashley

Back