New problem with rear-view mirror bracket.... HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New problem with rear-view mirror bracket.... HELP!!

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
You guys are gonna laugh, but I glued it on BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not upside down, but backwards, and now I cannot get this bracket off the windshield for the life of me... and the mirror doesn't stay on there now cause there's no lip to slip the mirror onto. I tried scraping it off with a razor, but no luck. Anyone know what else I can do??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the mirror has a swivel base so can ya slip it in from the bottom and turn the mirror around?

When I've read the instructions on the adhesive it usually says something to the effect of "if you put the mount on wrong, do not try to take it off, but get another mount and glue it to the mount you goofed on" Of course, those instructions presume that those mounting buttons are easy to come by.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
Well, the mirror has a swivel base so can ya slip it in from the bottom and turn the mirror around?

No, because I glued it on backwards, not upside down. Which means there's no lip to slip the mirror onto.....

Originally posted by MrShorty
"if you put the mount on wrong, do not try to take it off, but get another mount and glue it to the mount you goofed on"

I don't want to do this because that'll look bad won't it? I'm picky about how things look on my truck...... :D Plus, where do I get another bracket? I've never seen anywhere to buy them.....

I had to buy a new rear veiw mirror before and it came with a mount. Got it from wal mart. Guess if you cant find a mount you will have to get a whole new mirror.

That I don't have a problem with, but I want to get the old mount off first too......

What a problem, Mike¡

Try to glue a new bracket (in the right way, of course) over the old one, and then attach the rearwiew mirror.

In this case the new bracket will prone only few milimeters over the windshield that if you have only one bracket glued to it, and this will not affect the performance of the rearview mirror.

Is really difficult to take out the wrong glued bracket, because the adhesive is very strong. You should also consider the risk of broke the winshield in the process.

Good luck

Andy :chug:

Someone told me to try a heat gun against the outside of the windshield to get the glue hot and then peel it off... would that work or will I warp my windshield?

Also, I was told to try Goo Gone (ever used this stuff? works great on anything sticky or gluey.... is gluey a word? lol) so I'm gonna try a few things...... any more suggestions would be appreciated....

Gluing a new bracket over the old one is a last resort right now. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Check the label of the adhesive that you use to glue the bracket.

If is cyanoacrilate based, then acetone will dissolve it.

Use of a heat gun is very doubtful. In fact, some adhesives becomes stronger if you heath them.

I think that is the case, because the winshield becomes very hot when you park in a sunny day, so if the high temperature weakens this kind of adhesives is for sure that all of us will become experts in gluing rearview mirror brackets and this is not the case.

Keep trying and good luck¡

Back