New purchase of 94 explorer! Need opinions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New purchase of 94 explorer! Need opinions!

brooks49

Reaction score
City, State
calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sports utility
I have just purchased a 94 explorer today! (automatic) It seems to be in great shape. For a 9 plus year old car. got it at private individual blue book price, wish i could of got a better deal but blue book was best i could get! I was wondering if i could get some opinions from others that has or had this year model. There well be so much to learn about my new purchase, as iam the previous owner of a susuki trooper 4x4. which a whole other story. So far loving the explorer but hoping i made a good purchase as iam not familiar with these vehicles! thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my mom has a 94 with 95k miles on it...if you treat them right they will treat you right..oh welcome BTW

Do some searching. You'll find out that the trannies are not the greatest (A4LD) but there are a few things you can do to them to make them a lot better. Is yours 4x4?

thanx! for welcome!

Mine has 118,000 miles and is super clean (almost looks new) and i have been test driving it for 3 days before purchase and everything seems great!! guess i just got the new purchase jitters! glad to hear good news!

hmm! yep!

mine is 4x4 and plan on doing alot of traveling in it in near future! is there something i should have checked in specific!

i would just go over it to make sure everyhting is in good shape..I.E. check the brake pads,belts,fluids(prolly allredy have..but)air cleaner,..ect ect just to make sure

thanx!

The folks i purchased it from did a maintance inspect,they did a oil and oil filter change as well as tune up! This was a surprize as it was unexpected on my part but was very nice of them with no extra charge! thanx! for reply! every bit of help on this is appreciated! This well a whole new experiance for me!

I would do some general maintenence. Check plugs, wires, and you might consider getting the diff fluids and trans fluid changed but if the previous owners gave you the service records check them to make sure you are wasting money on services that they just did.

The main vulnerability as I understand is the transmission. Do a careful filter replacement for starters, then if you want to get an A, you'll do a flush with synthetic fluid.

The radius-arm bushings also tend to fail about your mileage. If you don't hear anything loose under the floorboards, don't worry about it.

I have a '93 with similar mileage and love it.

a buddy of mine has one and it has 210,000 miles on it, only had to replace the starter once. he beats the crap out of it and there is not a thing wrong with it. besides the way it looks.

I own a 94xlt witk 173000 on it. Runs good but have to agree wth everyone who says do some work on the trans. its a good trans if you maintain it well.

166,000 miles here! Do you have the tow package? Hopefully you do. As stated I would check the rest of your fluids (diffs, transfer and tranny). The trann is the weak link on the X's. Also as stated above if taken care they will last a long time. I still have the original tranny. Think the biggest thing if replaced is the AC compressor. And welcome to the board!

223900 miles here and original tranny and engine still running fine

One minor suggestion I would make is to check the transfer case fluid. Someone before me put gear lube in mine, and someone recently posted a thread about there's that had gear lube in it. It's supposed to have ATF in it, but some people make the mistake of putting gear lube in.

If it does have gear lube in, the drain and refill a couple of times with a couple hundred miles in between.

If it has ATF, but it's brown and old, it's probably time to drain and refill. If it's nice and red, then it should be ok.

Back