New radiator....over heat 2008 XlT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New radiator....over heat 2008 XlT

Teejayhooka

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I just changed the radiator on my 2008 xlt. Prior to the leaking radiator I had no cooling issues. After the install, car now spikes in temperature and the heat is blowing cold air. Buying a new thermostat in the morning but any other tips and advice will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of questions.....

Did you make sure there's no air in the system?

Have you checked to see if the coolant is actually flowing through the system?

Did you check the condition of the radiator hoses?

Did you check the fan clutch?

When you say cold air do you mean ambient temp air? Is your heater core still connected?

I did not, I just looked up last night on bleeding the air, I’ll be doing that this morning.

How do I check to see if coolant is flowing?

Hoses are fine

Fan works

When set to heat it blows normal air like a fan (not air conditioning and not hot or warm)

From reading up on it, it seems my issue may very well be air in the system as I didn’t bleed after a new install

I am not familiar with the 2008 EXPLORER, I am assuming it has a traditional cooling system. I have a 97'.
Temperature spikes are a symptom of air pockets in the cooling system.
Fill coolant in the rad. to the top, start engine and let the engine warm up with the radiator cap OFF, it will go down slightly when first started, as the engine warms up and the thermostat open the water will go down, this is the time to add more coolant, keep doing this. Some engines have a bleeder valve on the highest point of the cooling system to let air out, if you have one, crack it open and keep an eye on it, when you have a steady stream of coolant flowing out the bleeder valve, close the bleeder valve. As the engine warms up, keep adding coolant in the radiator. As the thermostat opens, you should see water flowing in the radiator looking though the cap location (maybe if visible). There will come a point where no more water can be added, this is the time to install the radiator cap and top off the overflow jug. Go for a test drive and get the engine to operating temperature and watch you gauge (if you have one). After the first overnight cool down check you over flow jug, if might have gone down, add coolant to the "FULL COLD" line. Keep and eye on the coolant jug for the next few days, it might go down again. this just means more air is being expanded from the system, just top off the over flow jug, after a few heat up and cooling cycles it should find the "sweet pot".

Update: I bled the system and she is staying cool! Thanks for the help fellas.

Back