• Register Today It's free!

New Rear Axle

Daveos

Reaction score
City, State
Southern UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I need some help finding a new rear axle. I'm not sure if I just need to go used and get a shop to change the ratios, or if someone might know where to find what I'm looking for.

I bought this 2001 explorer with 4:88 rear and front with aussie lockers installed. The rear locker is giving up the ghost. Disengages, makes nasty sounds ect. I dont do hard core off roading and want to use it on the highway. It has 35s on it. I read it may be better to put 4:56 gears in it to make it better for dual purpose highway and off road.

Is there anywhere to find a rear axle with 4:56's already ready to go?

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers didn't come with 4.56s so unless you find a rear axle that already has the gears replaced you are out of luck. You'll also need to regear the front if you change the rear ...

if you have a v6 your RPMs would go from 2495 to 2332
if you have a v8 your RPMs would go from 2329 to 2176
Its around 7% difference basically. Didn't know if you would change your mind on the gear swap after seeing the numbers. Fixing the rear would be the cheaper way to go.
I punched in 34.5 for tires and 70 mph.

Explorers didn't come with 4.56s so unless you find a rear axle that already has the gears replaced you are out of luck. You'll also need to regear the front if you change the rear ...

Sorry Daveos. But Rabbit, did you buy that ex from oak harbor wa?

I figured they didn't come with them. Wondering if there was an outfit that sold them already geared that way. Long shot.

if you have a v6 your RPMs would go from 2495 to 2332
if you have a v8 your RPMs would go from 2329 to 2176
Its around 7% difference basically. Didn't know if you would change your mind on the gear swap after seeing the numbers. Fixing the rear would be the cheaper way to go.
I punched in 34.5 for tires and 70 mph.

After reading a lot of posts, I found it recommended multiple times if you use it for highway and off roading that 4:56 is a good ratio to go with when riding 35" tires. I was also under the impression you could run different ratios in the front and rear in 2wd and not cause damage as long as you 4wd on low traction surfaces?

Your driving style will determine the gears. If "highway" is 55-60 mph I would stay 4.88, If "highway" 75-80 that is different. I have 4:56 and 33s and do 70-75 just fine. You can run different gears but keep in mind the front tires will be turning 7% faster in 4wd. And I didn't see if you had a 4wd or awd.

But yes 4:56 is a common 35 gear.

Your driving style will determine the gears. If "highway" is 55-60 mph I would stay 4.88, If "highway" 75-80 that is different. I have 4:56 and 33s and do 70-75 just fine. You can run different gears but keep in mind the front tires will be turning 7% faster in 4wd. And I didn't see if you had a 4wd or awd.

Yeah, I don't really like that at near 2500 rpms when I'm doing 65. I would prefer to go faster but still have it geared lower than factory specs for more torque. 4:56 seems like a good fit. I'll eventually get around to doing the front. I am not doing crazy off roading. Just like to be able to get out on the back roads and through deep sand when needed.

My torque curve is higher from motor mods, it likes 23-2500. But I'm assuming your a v6 so 4:56s would get you 2330 at 70, 4:11 a bit lower but you would lose "power" if pulling or hauling and your 4wd would be just about unusable do to the difference.

If I drop off a used axle with a new set of 4:56, how much should I expect a shop to charge me for swapping them out?

depends on the shop, I've seen from $150-$300. If you have the axle out so that its "bench work" I would think you would get a better price. But some shops might charge X amount for gears install whether its in or out.

Cool, my buddy sold a gold ex with a sloped BL to a guy in canada is why I asked.

Back