New rear brakes are burning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rear brakes are burning

Michowski

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
Recently replaced my rotors and pads all the way around. I am having a problem, both rear brakes are getting red hot. I can smell them after a few miles of driving and both rims even get pretty darn warm from it. When I jack the rear end in the air, I can spin each rotor by hand no problem. The parking brakes haven't even made any contact with the rotors yet as there are no marks. I don't suspect the calipers are sticking because I have yet to be able to find either side unable to move by hand and when I take them off I can do so without any effort. Really not sure whats causing this as I cant find anything binding. Anybody experience this or can give me something more to look for?

Recently replaced my rotors and pads all the way around. I am having a problem, both rear brakes are getting red hot. I can smell them after a few miles of driving and both rims even get pretty darn warm from it. When I jack the rear end in the air, I can spin each rotor by hand no problem. The parking brakes haven't even made any contact with the rotors yet as there are no marks. I don't suspect the calipers are sticking because I have yet to be able to find either side unable to move by hand and when I take them off I can do so without any effort. Really not sure whats causing this as I cant find anything binding. Anybody experience this or can give me something more to look for?

The rear brakes do get pretty hot even on around town driving. Actually, the rears do most of the work in light/moderate braking. I've noticed the same thing. Way to hot to touch even driving a mile or two. And my rims get quite warm also. As far as the smell, did you use cheap pads? That may be the reason for the smell.

Red hot- Literally?.. Replace your master cylinder? That is a lot of truck to stop, have you checked to see if the front brakes are operating properly? Set e-brake- lift up the front, have someone hold the brakes and check the front? Did you bleed the brakes properly?

Same problem here - just replaced rear pads and rotors on my '04 after 85k miles. Drove 10 miles stop and go traffic and it seemed OK. Then drove 50 miles on highway at 70 MPH and they were smelling plus rims were warm. Replaced calipers with rebuilt replacements and the problem seems to be fixed.

Like ponkotsu says, with everything working correctly, a few stops will get your rotors too hot to touch. But my rear brakes' smell was very obvious in the passenger compartment while still in motion.

Back