New rear diff install

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, got a new rear differential as mine was whining quite loudly and absolutely full of metal. Got everything out with a couple hiccups but nothing too major. Just have a question before I put the new one in.
When you remove the drive shaft at the rear diff, you of course mark the u joint/drive shaft, and (diff flange?) to insure it is installed the same way upon reassembly. Being that I have a new differential, there is obviously no mark. Is there a specific way to re-allign the drive shaft to diff, or can I just put it on however it fits.
Maybe a stupid question but just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.
Thanks

Ended up just bolting the new diff in whichever way fit, drives great, no more whine, all I can hear are the tires for the first time in a long time. Worst part was getting the old 19 year old 218k U-joints out, beat on those things for a solid 3 hours. Glad to be done!

Ended up just bolting the new diff in whichever way fit, drives great, no more whine, all I can hear are the tires for the first time in a long time. Worst part was getting the old 19 year old 218k U-joints out, beat on those things for a solid 3 hours. Glad to be done!
You might go to a driveline shop and have them check the driveline for balance. No facts here, just opinion. But my parents ‘03 was always in the shop for the rear end. Even ended up with a new rear end all together from Ford. Still kept having issues. I can’t help but wonder if it’s not all due to a wobbling driveline.

You might go to a driveline shop and have them check the driveline for balance. No facts here, just opinion. But my parents ‘03 was always in the shop for the rear end. Even ended up with a new rear end all together from Ford. Still kept having issues. I can’t help but wonder if it’s not all due to a wobbling driveline.
Wouldn't have been a bad idea, not really trying to mess around with it too much at this point. After pulling the engine for all timing components right before putting the new diff in, I think I have put more than enough work into it for now haha. Not to mention a 2,000 mile move coming up here in the next week, not sure I have time.
While possible, I think the most likely culprit is the 218k miles on the original gear set, with all the problems I read on here about the rear diffs, I feel pretty lucky it lasted as long as it did, here's to another 200k more :chug:
I can dream right?

Back