New Rear Shocks...What a Difference! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Rear Shocks...What a Difference!

leftoverture

Reaction score
City, State
Birdtown, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Miata SE BRG #1837
I have completed the last of the items my Ex needed to be completely roadworthy today by changing the rear shocks. What a difference they made, too. I did the Monroe Sensa-Tracs, but i suppose any shock would've been an improvement since the ones on there appeared to be the factory originals. The driver side one was completely dead and...the bushing sleeve had rusted itself to the lower mounting bolt making removal an adventure in die grinding. The passenger side came right off though. Drives almost like a new truck now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '91 were also the originals, I also used the same ones as you front and back and a huge difference noticed.

I used cheaper Gabriels when I did the front a while back. I was quite happy with them until I did the rears, now I kinda wish I would have used the Sensa-Tracs up front, too.

The Sensatracs are great shocks that give a comfortable ride, but will also do well when pushed a little bit more. Might be the best all-around shock out there for the Explorer if you want a stockish ride but with more control.

You really should get Sensatracs for the front, it would ride better, and might even be safer. Mixing shocks on a vehicle can cause odd handling characteristics, especially if there is a big difference between them. Gabriels and Senstracs might be okay, but just in case you needed an excuse.

After new shocks (Sensa Tracs up front, monroe max airs in the back) my ST sat easily 1 or 2 inches higher than before.

Rockauto.com has the front Sensatracs on clearance for ~$16/ea (Reg $27). Use a coupon code for an additional 5% off. Gotta pay shipping but you still wind up paying about the same as what one shock costs at the parts store, or even on Amazon.

Part # is 37015 if you wanna look it up that way rather than by vehicle application.

I have completed the last of the items my Ex needed to be completely roadworthy today by changing the rear shocks. What a difference they made, too. I did the Monroe Sensa-Tracs, but i suppose any shock would've been an improvement since the ones on there appeared to be the factory originals. The driver side one was completely dead and...the bushing sleeve had rusted itself to the lower mounting bolt making removal an adventure in die grinding. The passenger side came right off though. Drives almost like a new truck now!

Just ordered front and rears. The rears came yesterday and I installed them in about 40mins plus some bloody knuckles haha. I got KYB's and previously had Monroes. The Monroe's look much beefier and I feel improvement but not much. Im going to install the fronts, hopefully that ties everything together much better. I kinda wish I went with the sensatracs or ranchos!! But I guess ill get those when I do a suspension overhaul.

Then again for city driving (LA) I think going more OEM was the call. I can take turns 3x as hard and get very little acceleration tilt. Compared to the old shocks that literally made the whole back end squat down.

Back