New RLC rear swingout bumper for my 98 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New RLC rear swingout bumper for my 98 XLT

Desert_AIP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4WD
Just received my rear swingout bumper from James at RLC.

I asked him to make the step area a bit flatter on the back to install aux backup lights.
He already did the cutouts!
I really like the gusset on the swing arm. I've seen previous versions where he just used another piece of tubing.
The box is for Jerry cans.

Can't wait to get it painted and installed.

RLC Rear 05.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's pretty sweet. Have you painted and installed it yet? Would love some pics.
I am seriously looking at RLC's stuff, the previous owner of my 95 Sport neglected to wash the truck after he would launch his boat, and the salt water completely ate the rear bumper up. Perfect opportunity for an upgrade :)

That's pretty sweet. Have you painted and installed it yet? Would love some pics.
I am seriously looking at RLC's stuff, the previous owner of my 95 Sport neglected to wash the truck after he would launch his boat, and the salt water completely ate the rear bumper up. Perfect opportunity for an upgrade :)
Not yet. :-(
Winter here had me travelling more than I anticipated.

It's "on the list".

I'm also gonna go to the local junk yards and see if I can find some 2nd gens with no running boards so I can cannibalize the trim and replace my running boards. It looks a bit off with 31" AT tires and steel bumpers...and running boards. :-)

Not yet. :-(
Winter here had me travelling more than I anticipated.

It's "on the list".

I'm also gonna go to the local junk yards and see if I can find some 2nd gens with no running boards so I can cannibalize the trim and replace my running boards. It looks a bit off with 31" AT tires and steel bumpers...and running boards. :)
I hear you. I have a pile of NIB parts in my garage, waiting to be installed. It's a good feeling and aggravating, all at once :)
Front looks great! I found another forum member with 'almost' your rear bumper from the same guy, and I think I am going to pull the trigger once my Ex gets back from the trans shop.
I am so looking forward to not having the spare on the roof. What a freaking nightmare putting it up and down. And it's only a 33. Imagine doing that with a 35 lol

Got the bumper back from powder coating and installed.
Had to notch out the spare tire tray for the hitch.
I was also able to swap the running boards for rocker trim, $20 at the local scrap yard.
Now to deal with that last remaining piece of chrome trim on the rear quarter panel.
The Limited had color matched panels, I grabbed some from the scrap yard, one of the mounts broke and I need to plastic weld it. They're black too!

P1030815.JPG

P1030814.JPG

P1030792.JPG

P1030757.JPG

P1030775.JPG

I like the bumper. Don't like the jerry can box, its too big and blocks the driver side brake light from anything but a straight shot. You are also going to have to relocate your rear license plate, what's the plan for that?

As I mentioned, I need to relocate the plate.
License plate bracket that mounts with the tire is inbound (due tomorrow)
pdint_2_image_35893.15719949209312.jpg

The upper brake light is still visible (which is why they were added in 1994).

I have a trip coming up. I need to carry 15 gallons of water.
My plan when I'm tooling around town is to remove the can holder (4 bolts).

Back