• Register Today It's free!

New seats!

Walnut777

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I just picked up some really nice tan seats today. Me and joe dirt were just saying how hard it was to find this color. There are 5 junkyards in my county all within 10 miles of me. Well, it's true there are alot more grey! Well this explorer had been in the junkyard for about a week or so. A few days ago someone bought the windshield and yesterday we had a terrible thunderstorm. The front seats were soaked. I got the front and back seats for 150 bucks. I spent a few hours disassembling them and cleaning them real good. So hopefuilly they will be good and dry by tomorrow and if the weathers right I'll put 'em in. Finally, goodbye to the leather seats. I don't know why, but I just never really liked the feel of leather seats, especially in the summer!
I'll post some pics when I get them in. I thought of making a how to swap seats thread, with pics and all.
Here's a pic of one of the seats.
Thats not a stain, just a shadow on the part of the seat where your butt goes.
DSCF2940.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice find man, im lookin for some grey seats to swap out in the back

Cool! Are those Saddle Tan? They look like Prairie unless the flash severely lightened them up- There was a Mounty with Prairie Tan when I pulled my gray, but it was smashed in the side and the rears were ruined or I would have pulled those instead of the gray, but that Mounty seat may be my new office chair. :D

I was ranting about the "Saddle" Tan- it's a lot darker. And well, Damn Saddle Tan! :D

In case nobody has seen the difference, this is the color of mine, the flash lightened them up a bit:

100_5109.jpg

This is a good pic showing the difference- the subwoofer cover in there is Prairie Tan- the rest of my soon to be replaced interior is Saddle Tan. It's darker and more orangey.

000_0042.jpg

That's the same color of my leather seats.
The cloth I bought may be prairie. My Explorer came with those cheap, manual cloth seats in a tan color with a bunch of other little colors sewn in. I'm sure you've seen them.
Anyways, the lady that I bought my Explorer from was not that small figured of a woman and the drivers seat never really stood a chance! You know how the seat wears out on the left butt cheek. It was horrible! It was flat on the left side. I picked up the leather seats not too long after buying the explorer, mainly b/c I couldn't find just one cheap cloth seat to match the rest of the car. I sure h ope tomorrow is purdy! I'd like to clean my interior carpet before I put the seats in.
Now, all I have to do is find an armrest or have mine upholstered in a color to match the seats.

If you look on eBay, there are armrest recovering kits for $14.00 or you can take yours to a fabric store and get some vinyl to do it yourself as well.

I can relate to your blown-out issue- mine does too. The newer gray ones aren't though, so that's good.

I just picked a set of saddle tan cloth seats out of a '96 V8 to replace my well worn and torn factory leather seats.

The sag in the side by the console on both seats is caused by two springs that have fallen off the support because Ford couldn't be bothered to put a 90 degree bend on the end of the rod to hold it all together. I did the same fix on my current leather seats when I had them out last made them feel much better. Also stashing a piece of cardboard or similar between the foam and the support wires makes it feel like a new seat again.

Back