• Register Today It's free!

New set of TPMS sensors

Lukas2009

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer V6
I will install a new set of TPMS sensors on my winter wheels and have to program them with a programer to work with my Explorer.
My question is, when I reinstall my summer wheels, will I have reprogram them or will they still be recognized by my Explorer?
Do I have to program the sensors every time I change my wheel sets from winter to summer?

I will install a new set of TPMS sensors on my winter tires and have to program them with a programer to work with my Explorer.
My question is, when I reinstall my summer tires, will I have reprogram them or will they still be recognized by my Explorer?
Do I have to program the sensors every time I change my tire sets from winter to summer?

I am not sure, but I believe you will have to program them. I installed some aftermarket wheels and tires with new TPMS a few months back and needed to use the tpms tool to activate them to avoid the error, even though the OEM wheels were sitting in the back of the truck at the time. So I assume programming would be needed when switching back and forth between different sets of wheels.

KTI makes a good tool to train the tpms on the 4th gens (the old magnet trick doesn't work like on the 3rd Gens). The KTI tool can be expensive but I found one on ebay for 80 bucks so I went for it.

You will have to reprogram the system to recognize the sensors every time you switch. I used the cheap Motorola tool ($32.37 on Amazon) when I upgraded my wheels, worked like a champ.

Back