• Register Today It's free!

New Shock recommendations?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I have been wanting to get new shocks on my 150,000 mile Explorer for awhile (it currently has the stock shocks, ride quality is pretty rough even after new tires).

Any recommendations on what to get? I plan on possibly lifting my truck down the road with a spindle lift and 33"s, so it would be nice to have shocks that are smooth before & after the lift.

Right now Im thinking Bilstein 5100's, don't know much about it though

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Edelbrock IAS's, stock ride height.
Decent handling on a smooth road, but a bit rough over even small imperfections.
A good interstate/highway choice perhaps, but not so for beat up city streets or off road.

I'd suggest just the stock replacement Bilstein 5100s. Nothing will be better than them unless you have custom shock mounts made for say something say like a 8x2.0 remote res King, SAW, Bilstein, Fox, or Radflow.

I'd suggest just the stock replacement Bilstein 5100s. Nothing will be better than them unless you have custom shock mounts made for say something say like a 8x2.0 remote res King, SAW, Bilstein, Fox, or Radflow.

Thanks Dan, appreciate it. I'll start pricing some online tomorrow. Sucks - all of the sudden my truck start leaking water out of the back left of the engine bay, compressor or something area...need to get that fixed first then shocks will be up next.

I run Rancho 9000X adjustables and like them, FWIW.

Thanks Dan, appreciate it. I'll start pricing some online tomorrow. Sucks - all of the sudden my truck start leaking water out of the back left of the engine bay, compressor or something area...need to get that fixed first then shocks will be up next.

If it's on the firewall your heater core most likely went out. You can loop the heater core lines together to temp fix the problem because you have to pull the entire dash down to replace it. For a 35 dollar part a shop will charge you at least 500 in labor. Ford wants 900! To find out turn your heater on and if it smells like coolant in the cab that's for sure the problem. Mine went out a few months ago too but since I don't ever use the heater cause mine is off road only I just looped the lines. When I pull the dash down to connect my cab cage to my engine cage I will replace it.

As far as the shocks, they about 70/ea after tax.

Thanks again Dan. I actually went in had my cooling system compression checked and the only leak they found was where I installed the new thermostat housing gasket, guess I didn't properly prep both surfaces on the housing and caused a leak. As for the heater core area, my guess is condensation built up and was blocked up there and all came out at once, heater is working fine...although I did think at first that my heater core went out too (had to replace the HC on my 5.0 mustang, really sucked)

As for the shocks, you guys know which specific model of 5100 I need for the fronts and rears? Looking to order them online today if possible, thanks

You can look it up vehicle specific on most websites that carry them. Fronts have a dif mounting system then the rear and they are obviously valved differently.

F'in beautiful. Thanks Dan, greatly appreciated bud. Will check the link out, prob. placing order on monday. Nice to always have another project to look forward to on the ex

I like my Rancho 5000s.

F'in beautiful. Thanks Dan, greatly appreciated bud. Will check the link out, prob. placing order on monday. Nice to always have another project to look forward to on the ex

No worries.

Back